9

Sal stood before the Council and watched them get ready for the meeting.

"Padawan Kalani," Master Windu asked. "What did Master Krell do to the men of the 501st?"

"Master Krell never trusted the men nor did they trust me," Sal explained. "He stated in the back of the formations, made plans without any of our opinions, he slaughtered the men, and he made them kill each other."

"And what did he do to you?" Master Mundi asked.

Sal gulped. "He made me kill one of my best friends, Lieutenant Waxer. We didn't know we were fighting the 212th until after it happened. He did many other things I do not wish to relive."

"If you feel comfortable, Padawan, do you want to show us?" Master Plo suggested.

"I guess," Sal replied. "I already know what the ending looks like anyways."

The Masters walked over to Sal and touched her arm. Sal started at the beginning, when she first met the Master and ended once she gave Waxer's helmet to Boil. She didn't miss a single detail. The Masters removed their hands and Sal opened her eyes.

"Sal I—," Kenobi began. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Sal replied. "It's over now."

"You sure?" Master Plo asked.

"Yeah, I only have one request."

"What kind of request?" Master Windu asked.

"That I don't work with the men for a while," Sal replied. "At least alone."

"Good news for you then, Padawan," Master Windu replied. "You are studying at the Temple until we can get your memories out of Separatist hands."

"What!?" Sal yelped. "I— That's going to take forever!"

"Don't worry, Sal, this is a good time to help improve Form 8," Master Plo beamed.

Master Yoda gave her a stack of books. "Read these, you must. Obi-Wan, go to Shili, you will. Dismissed, you all are."

Sal grumbled as she used the force to carry the pile of books to her temple quarters. It wasn't too late so Sal decided to go look at Coruscant. She should do her city business before she goes and hides in her room for the rest of the war.

She stopped at Dex's for lunch, who asked where Kenobi was and why he never visits anymore.

"Oh, yeah, he gets to go on missions but the Council won't let me go with him," Sal grumbled.

"I can keep company!" Dex grinned. "And you have a better chance of surviving this war, being on the front lines, you know?"

"Yeah," Sal replied. "Doesn't make it fun, though. I have Mandalorian blood in my veins! I want a fight!"

"Isn't Mandalore less about blood and more about found family?" Dex asked.

"Yes, well, that's what I was taught," Sal hesitated. "My blood shouldn't matter to the Mandalorians, I am the last of my clan. Adoption means everything to them, and I was adopted by the Kryzes but I was forced into it. I really don't know anymore."

"Something's up about that. I would investigate," Dex suggested while flipping a nerfburger patty.

"I would if I had the time," Sal replied. "Wait, I have plentiful time!"

Dex grinned while serving her a nerf burger. "On the house, kid. Can't leave a child starving."

Next, Sal went to the tattoo parlor. Sal only has one tattoo, but she needs to honor her brothers. Her found family.

Sal walked out of the parlor with a black stripe on her right arm. "It represents the loss of a loved one," the artist said. She got it for Waxer, and she felt his memory beaming in the force from the gesture.

Sal went back to her quarters and got a message on her comm. It was from her Master.

Sal, we encountered a tactical droid on Shili. It knows what you know. It's the holder of your memories. Cody is being sent back to Coruscant as he was targeted by this droid. "General Kalani" was its name. Cody shall stay with you until we destroy this droid and delete all of your data from its systems.

Sal tidied her room and used the force to pull out a bed from the small couch near her bed. She got some sheets for it and placed her favorite pillow on the couch.

Someone knocked on her door a few minutes after she got situated on her couch. Her first book was sitting in her lap and a dozen datapads were floating around her. "Come in."

Cody walked in and stopped when he saw the floating datapads. "They don't bite, Cody."

"That's good to hear," he chuckled. "But on another note, apparently the Separatists are targeting me due to Obi-Wan's attachment to me."

"Oh," Sal frowned. "I'm sorry, Cody. But you can catch up on reports? Maybe we can go explore Coruscant together! Doesn't that sound fun?"

"I am also to make sure you continue studying," Cody added. "And teach you more complex hand-to-hand."

Sal groaned. "But I have to continue developing my lightsaber forms as well, I don't have time for all of this!"

"Maybe I can help," Cody offered.

"You have absolutely no experience with a lightsaber."

"Actually, I do. Turns out my staff training from my cadet years helped me win multiple battles since the General can't keep track of his lightsaber," Cody smirked.

"I will slaughter your shebs in front of the men."

"I bet 20 credits that you would slaughter me in a lightsaber battle but I will destroy you in a wrestle."

Sal shook Cody's hand and the bet was made. Now, all they had to do was wait for the men to come back to Coruscant.

A/N: Sorry that this chapter is shorter than the past ones, I have been doing a lot of band stuff recently and haven't had much free time to write. Updates will be quicker in August.