Part 14: Drifting In Despair

Hey, all! There's not much to say for this note, as there won't be one at the end this time, so I'll keep it short.

Next chapter will be longer, as it will dig further into the "truth" behind her clan's massacre. There might be a bit of some corny/cheesy parts here and there, though I hope they don't sound that way.

Any-who, that should be all for now. Let's get back into the aftermath from last chapter and see what goes on from there!

And as always, I love y'all! And have a great day!

Forewarning: this chapter contains parts from episode 349. If you haven't seen those episodes of the anime, or gotten that far, this is a warning for possible spoilers.

~~~~~
~~~~~

   Himiko groaned softly when she heard a Leaf shinobi shout, "They're over here!", alerting the rest of the reinforcements before running over to her and Kakashi. Who was still lying on the ground; unconscious. Her eyes fluttered open as her vision cleared. She let out another groan as she struggled to move her fairly stiff muscles. "Easy there, ma'am. Reinforcements are here. Looks like you both did well in taking out those Mist shinobi", commented the same leaf ninja as he stood beside her and supported her so she could sit up. "but Rin...", his tone shifted meekly with hesitation. She closed here eyes for a moment to try and block that image out of her head. Kakashi's Chidori through... she let out a slow and even breath before opening them again.

"I know... we'll take her back to the village with us...", Himiko replied monotoned, her expression was unreadable. Though a few tears began to roll down her cheeks. She looked over at Kakashi with sorrow and remorse. Seems like they've lost another teammate... but now, with how they lost Rin... how will Kakashi work through this...? How will-? Himiko shook her head. That was gonna be a pointless question... because he's not gonna go through this alone...

She sighed quietly and slowly stood back up with slight struggle. "Thanks...", she said when the same Leaf ninja beside her supported her as she focused on keeping herself steady on her feet. "I think I got it from here. Can you seal Rin's body while I go and carry Kakashi on my back?", she requested.

"O-of course", he inclined as he took out a scroll and went over to Rin's body to seal it. Himiko went over to Kakashi, crouched down, and steadily got him to rest up on her back as she stood up and held his back legs to try and keep him steady. After they had Rin's body sealed away, they were dashing through the trees, on their way back to Konoha.

~~~~~

After informing Hiruzen on everything that had happened during their mission, especially about what happened to Rin. He wasn't quite sure what right words to say at first. His granddaughter and her teammate had lost yet another close friend due to this war. And they both knew that there may very well be many more losses to come.

And so, after comforting her as much as he could, just as he did for the loss of her other dear friend, he sent her off to watch over Kakashi until he wakes; as per her request. Himiko of course, agreed. And said her good-byes before hurrying off to Kakashi's house. Where she had asked one of her comrades from that mission to bring him there to rest.

When she walked inside, she decided to do some chores around the house. Like the times she's helped him with them whenever she came over. Afterwards, she got him a pair of fresh clean clothes that he had. And set them onto the side table; next to his bed. When she saw that his hand wasn't covered in blood, at least not anymore, the sides of her lips quirked upwards slightly.

Himiko pulled up a small chair by his bed and sat down in it; beside him. And from there, she watched over him through the rest of the night. She wasn't gonna sleep until she made sure that he was gonna be alright. And not just physically, obviously... Tao had told her that Kakashi could very well be going down a dark path of his own in the future... and he truly believed that he was alone in feeling this way... but he wasn't... and she was gonna prove that to him...