Chapter 3: Possibilities

For Wei Wuxian it was a normal day. He woke up around noon having slept a whole two hours and went outside his cave to check on his settlement. All in all it was a fairly average day. He got yelled at by Wen Qing enough that he finally ate something, and then he and Wen Ning played with A-Yuan. But as he was about to head inside his cave he saw a flash of red in the sky. There were three people on swords looking down at them.

His mind started racing. 'How did they get through the barriers? I need to protect my family.' But before he could go all Yiling Patriarch on them they descended and stood right in front of him.

The remaining Wen's all froze in their farming and catiousely watched the people in front of them. They looked quite unusual. I haven't heard of any clans besides the Wen clan that wore red. Why was the girl's hair in the middle silver? They couldn't be rogue cultivators because they looked quite wealthy. Was the silver-haired girl wearing a golden crown? I didn't think that royalty were usually cultivators.

The trio did the same. They looked at the mere boy in front of them who couldn't be more than seventeen years old. He looked quite malnourished. The civilians around him also looked to be malnourished, and was that a child? I can only feel one spiritual energy here and it's not even coming from the boy. The boy however has a lot of demonic energy in him, which is incredibly unhealthy and fatal without a core.

Finally Wei Wuxian had had enough and decided to question him.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?" Wei Wuxian asked in a sternish voice while clenching his flute.

"Oi don't speak to our lady this way!" Hong shouted childishly while grabbing her swords.

"Calm down Hong," she said while patting Hong's head. She then turned to Wei Wuxian.

"I could ask you the same question, what are you doing in my land? It is closed off for a reason."

"Your land?" Wei Wuxian said while tilting his head to the side questionly.

"Yes, I am the goddess that precedes over the Burial Mounds and everything within." Wei Wuxians eyes widened before his expression turned to disbelief.

"I don't believe you," he said while crossing his arms.

"DON'T YOU DARE CALL OUR LADY A LIAR!!" Hong shouted, while Wei Wuxian just started thinking about how much she reminded him of Jiang Cheng.

Daiyu contemplated for a moment how she could prove what she was saying was true without scaring them off. She sighed as she realized what her only option was. She then took off her cloak and released her wings. Gasps of awe surrounded the small Wen settlement as Wei Wuxian's jaw dropped to the floor.

"Hm you better remember this moment as the greatest moment of your lives," Hong said while pouting and turning her head away. These peasants don't deserve to see the beauty of my empress, she thought.

Once Wei Wuxian was out of his shock he finally unclenched his flute knowing that he was not stronger than them anyways.

"I'm Wei Ying, courtesy Wuxian," he said with a deep bow.

"I'm Daiyu, and these are my guards Hong and Boquin," she said with a small bow of her own. Wei Wuxian finally noticed that there was another person present. For once in his life he had to tilt his head up to look at the 6'5 man in front of him. He blushed a little and turned his head away, not that he would ever admit to finding another man attractive.

Daiyu just had a knowing smile on her face. She then looked around another time, noticing that everyone was still on edge. I wonder if they have anywhere else to go? If not, I suppose I could offer them living within my lands.

"Why are you staying in the Burial Mounds?" She questioned Wei Wuxian. He finally turned back towards her as a swirl of emotions went through his face.

"We have nowhere else to go," he said, looking down slightly.

"Well I don't really feel comfortable with you living out here. However you may live within my lands behind the barrier." Her guards looked at her funny, but decided not to question her as she knew best. Wei Wuxian seemed confused with the offer however.

"What barrier are you talking about?"

"Oh haha, I forgot to mention that the barriers outside of Burial Mounds are just for basic level protection. My real home is behind barriers that knowone but I can touch."

"B-but are you sure? I wouldn't want to be a burden?" he said, looking sad again.

"My lady never lies," Boquin spoke for the first time, with a gentle smile gracing his face.

Wei Wuxian then looked around at his little settlement. 'With our current shortage of food we wouldn't be able to survive for very long anyways. If we have a chance of having a better life with her I believe that we should probably go.'

"Yes, I would love to accept your offer. Can we speak inside?" Wei Wuxian said with the first genuine smile on his face in months.

"Yes, we can," Daiyu responded, and they headed inside Wei Wuxian's cave.