20

Lincoln Carrington
simping 101

I sit up in my bed for a couple of minutes before a knock comes on my door. "Hm?"

My door opens and Rachel comes in. She tosses my phone on the bed and leaves back out, without a word. I grab my phone and see another missed call from Mercedes, which scared me so I call her.

Her face pops up on my screen. "Heyyy."

"Hey. Are you good?"

"Yeah... Why wouldn't I be?" She trails off.

"Cause you called me after I told you that I'll call you later. I just assume it'd be important."

"Nope. I just wanted to talk you. And you were taking too long."

"Sorry? I was sleeping. What are you doing?"

"I'm going to start getting ready for a party. I was gonna ask if you wanted to come?"

"My social battery is dead. I'm really sorry but I need time away from people my age." I chuckle.

"Who were you hanging out with that has you this dead?"

"Brandon and his sister. After what happened with Jonah, me and Brandon went on with our night. We didn't do much, it's just tiring being around people for too long. You understand right?"

"Sure. I can't relate though , I'm a people person."

"Mm. Whose party is it?"

"Oh. It's Grant's."

"We made out last night... why invite me... to Grant's party?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Dunno. Thought it would be fun?"

"That does not sound anywhere near fun." I laugh.

"Please?"

"Nope." I lean against my headboard.

"Why?"

I squint at the phone. "wHy?? Why would I want to be around someone who has you when I don't. Plus I'm sure he's gonna want to... y'know... be with you. I don't want to put myself in an uncomfortable situation."

"What makes you think I'd do anything with him?"

I stay silent and pucker my lips to the side and she gives me a weird look.

"Anyway. It's fine. I'm not going to force you to do something you don't want to do."

"Thank you. Next party for sure."

A text slides down my screen while Mercedes talks.

webb
—————

top golf with me and
karla next weekend?

I smile at the text but let it go back up.

"What are you smiling at me for?"

My eyes refocus back on Mercedes. "It was a text."

"Oh damn."

I laugh and I see her smile. "Hey have fun tonight."

"I will. Thank you. I'll talk to you Tuesday?"

"Yep during morning practice."

"Ugh. Not morning practice." She puts her head in her hands. "Forgot about that."

I laugh. "Bye."