2

Mercedes Paxton
You have 54 new followers!

"Mercedes! Why are you taking forever? We're gonna be late for practice!" My dad yells from downstairs.

"Coming!" I yell back.

I put on my varsity jacket since it's kinda chilly this morning. I'm insanely mad at the fact that he made it a morning practice.

I grab my phone and jog down stairs.

"Finally." My dad mumbles.

"You're the one who decided to have practice at 5:45... on a Saturday morning."

He rolls his eyes and we head to his car.

The ride to the school is short and I ended up just looking out of the window for most of the ride.

My dad parks behind the school next to a couple of other cars, and I bite my lip as I start to become a little nervous.

"Hey, don't be nervous. These guys are really nice, even the linemen wouldn't hurt a fly... on purpose." He says and gets out. "Get my bag please.

I sigh, grab the bag, and follow close behind him as we make our way onto the field. I can hear the loud chattering of all the guys.

"Hey coach!" One of them yell.

"Hey fellas. I brought a tag along." He moves to reveal me to the 25 or so guys.

"Shiii. I'm not complaining." A tall darkskin says, and some of the guys snicker.

"Watch it or I'll make all of you run suicides at-" He looks down at his watch. "5:50 in the morning."

"Sorry." He says puckering his lips to the side.

"Anyways. Mercedes is going to be a new addition to the team as your manager. So if you have any questions about scheduling, practice, games, you can ask her about it starting next week. Now you don't have to bother me."

"This your daughter, right?" Some white guy says.

"Yes, which should make you think twice before you say something flip to her. I'm talking to you Webb and Carrington. I've had too many girls come onto this field looking for 'her boo' to know what y'all be doing."

"We're irresistible." Lincoln says as him and the darkskin flex.

Me and Lincoln eyes meet for a second but I look away.

"Mmm right. Do your warmup lap!"

All the guys start walking toward the track. I hear footsteps behind me and turn around, and see a girl with dirty blonde hair. Her naturally tan skin glows even though it's cloudy.

"Sorry I'm late. I didn't want to come." The girl says.

"Ah. Kenzie. Always so enthusiastic. Mercedes, this so Kenzie Briggs. She's the trainer for the team. Kenzie, this is my daughter Mercedes. She's the new manager. So you two will be working pretty close together this season."

"Coach! We need the keys to unlock the gate!"

He jogs over to the guys across the field.

"By the way, you won't have to worry about me stepping on your toes." She says.

"What do you mean?" I cock my head to the side.

"Like incase you wanted to get with the boys, you know?"

"Oh," I start laughing, and she looks confused. "Sorry for laughing. But trust me. I'm not one of those girls. My dad forced me into managing the team."