25

THIRD POV
*5 months later*
feel no ways

Karla fixes the tassel on Lincoln's cap before flattening out his gown.

"I'm proud of you, y'know."

"You sound like a mom bro."

"I'm serious b. Graduating is huge and I'm very proud." Her thumb runs over his cheek.

He pulls her in by her waist and kisses her deeply. "Thank you."

It comes out a bit incoherent being mumbled against her lips but she hums. Not wanting to pull away she wraps her arms around his neck, feeling very content at this moment but ultimately pulling away after a knock comes on Lincoln's bedroom door. Lincoln holds his gaze with Karla before pecking her lips one more time.

He clears his throat. "Come in!"

His dad comes in and smiles. "Sorry to interrupt—"

"Oh! You're fine Mr. Carrington. I told Rachel that I'd help her pick out her jewelry anyway." Karla picks up her purse and walks out.

Lincoln turns to look in the mirror and his father appears behind him. "Wow. My son is graduating. Never thought the day would come."

"Alright." Lincoln throws his arms out.

"I kid. I— I'm proud of you. Your mom would be proud of you."

He sigh. "I hope so."

"I know so." He grabs Lincoln's shoulders before checking his watch. "We gotta go kiddo."

They head downstairs where Karla stands talking to Rachel. Rachel's attention switches over to Lincoln and her dad walking down the steps causing Karla's eyes to follow.

"Y'all ready?" Rachel shifts her phone and keys to her other hand.

They all grab what they need before heading to Paradise Valley High. The drive was nerve-wracking. Lincoln was letting Rachel drive since he was too nervous to. His life is about to start for real and although he feels ready. He's scared. Really scared.

Over at the Paxton household, Ashton rushes through the house searching under couches and chairs.

"Holy shit! Ash, I found it!" Mercedes damn near falls down the stairs as she skips steps going down them.

"Fucking finally." Ashton nearly collides with Mercedes as she turns the corner.

Mercedes helps him put on the tassel and moves it to the correct side. She fixes the buttons on his gown and steps back.

"I'm proud of you bro. I-" Mercedes pauses to hold back tears. "I'll miss you."

"Awww!" Ashton wraps his arms around Mercedes's head. "You can come and visit once I get settled. Alright?"

Mercedes nods and pulls away from the hug. "We gotta go."

Mercedes and Ashton head outside where their parents are already in the car. They climb into SUV and head toward PVHS. The ride there is quick as usual and the Paxtons walk out to the field as Ashton breaks away from them. The Arizona heat today was almost unbearable as people crowd together in the stands. Just for Mercedes's luck, they sit right behind the Carringtons.

Rachel doesn't notice so she's in the clear. The ceremony begins as the sun begins to set. The class size is pretty small so going from As to the Ps then Ws took no time.

"Voted 'Best Manager' by PV's football coaching staff, McKenzie Gianna Briggs," Mercedes and her dad cheer loud as Kenzie walks across the stage. "Studying Biomedical Engineering at NorthWestern University."

"The Trojans' quarterback for the last four years, Lincoln Hailey Carrington," The stands clap and cheer as Lincoln walks across the stage. "Studying Pre-Med at Louisiana State University."

Mercedes Paxton

I sigh before tuning out until the middle of the alphabet. Pre-Med. Good for him.

"The Trojans' by midfielder and team captain, who brought us to Nationals the past four years, Ashton James Paxton." Ashton walks across the stage and I stand up to cheer. "Studying Computer Science at University of Illinois-Chicago."

I stop paying any attention completely for most until Brandon.

"The Trojans' wide receiver, Brandon Joaquin Webb," Brandon walks across the stage and accepts his diploma. "Studying Sports Medicine at Michigan State University." The principal switches out with the valedictorian.

"Wow. Four years... This shit was a mess, not even gonna lie. I think we've all grown so much over these very slow, yet aggressive, few years. But we've used those years to find and lose pieces of ourselves, maybe even pieces that can make or break the way we see ourselves for the rest of our lives. Yet here we all are, maybe not very... put together, but in one piece. I'm so happy for all your paths and careers, and I'll never forget this amazing group of people," Her eyes stay down and she shakes a little bit trying to hold back tears before looking back up at the class. "Now if the class will rise. Moving your tassel to the left signifies your official graduation and departure from Paradise Valley High School. Following in the good traditions of Paradise Valley..."

She grabs her tassel and moves it to the left and the rest of the class follows. "We are class of '21."

Caps and streamers go everywhere on the field and the bleachers shake as the families cheer.

——————

I close the pizza box and take a bite of the semi cold pizza, as I lean over the counter. Ashton comes into the kitchen, scaring the living fuck out of me, but he walks right past me.

"Scaredy cat." He opens the pizza box and takes a middle piece. "What're you doin up?"

"Not tired. Took a long ass nap after that party."

"Me too. Just now waking up." He takes a bit of the pizza and turns to lean his backside on the counter.

We stay in silence and I lean my head on my hand as I continue to eat. I can feel Ashton look over at me.

"What's wrong?"

I look over at him. "What do you mean?"

"You seem... off." He shrugs.

I roll my eyes. "Ok. I'm fine, Mr. 'I can read people'. Plus today is about you."

"What? It's 1:34am, my shine is over. And I can read people. Talk to me, Cedes." He turns back around so he's leaning over the counter right next to me.

I sigh. "Dunno. Just feel so drained."

"Yeah. Focusing on a dude for half your junior year will do that to you. But it's okay. You just need some self care."

"I thought I was doing self care. I got a job, started focusing on my grades, working on college essays, doing my back exercises again so I can play volleyball in the fall."

"Then why do you still feel unhappy?" He looks away from me as I go quiet. "You aren't doing these things to better yourself, you're doing them to forget. You need to change the MO to 'I'm doing this because it makes me happy' rather than 'I'm doing this to distract myself from the sadness' , then the healing is gonna take place. But first, I know you hate it, but you gotta let yourself hurt and feel the heartbreak. You gotta."

"You're so lame." I groan.

I hate that my eyes start burning and my chest feels heavy. And I hate the fact that Ashton's arms pull me up and into an embrace. I hate the way the my sobs don't make any noise. And what I hate most is that my brother is going to be 1800 miles away.

"I'll miss you." I continue to cry.

"Ew stop talking."

—————

i am so sorry yall LMAO
literally fell off the face of the earth for a minute but i'm back to finish this story
one more chap, and it should be out soon😁😁