24

Mercedes Paxton
Too Soon?

"You don't wanna sit with the rest of the team?" I shift in my seat as Lincoln looks comfortable in his nice suit.

"I need a break from them."

"You're about to have a nine month break from them though." I chuckle.

He lift his glass to his lips and my eyes can't tear away from them. "True."

The things I'd do to kiss him again. "Paxton."

"Hm?"

"You look a bit zoned. You good?"

"Lincoln," I lean forward and he looks around before following my actions. "I want you."

His face drops. "Wh— what?"

Damien comes up to us and grabs the bread off of our table. "Sorry."

"Oh sure D. Take our bread." Lincoln shifts his attention to him.

"Thanks man. I gladly will." He smiles before chomping the bread and walking off.

Lincoln brings his attention back to me and falls back against his seat. "Mercedes— what the fuck?"

"Listen—" I start.

"No. You listen," He cuts me off. "You had four fuckin' months, bro. Four. And now here you come. After I've finally gotten detached from you. After I've found someone else. Here you come giving me bedroom eyes and talking in that little voice. You only want me because you got dumped and that's not cool. I'm not your second choice. I like you Mercedes. You're a great person but you're too indecisive for me. I need someone firm and reliable and that's just not you. I wish that it wasn't the case but it is."

"I- uh." I don't even know what to say. "I'm sorry. I understand."

"I forgive you. Thank you for being a good friend. I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from. C'mon. They're about to serve dessert."

We get up and head over to where the majority of the team is. I fake a smile for the rest of the night until I get into the safety of my car and away from the venue. That was embarrassing. What's most embarrassing is that a small part of me hoped he would break up with his girlfriend. There's a lot more comfort in knowing no one has him but someone does. Now I have sit next to him everyday knowing I lost.

I pull up to my house and sit there for a minute before heading in. I set my keys on the table in the middle of the foyer, and leave my shoes there before heading upstairs. I strip naked and get into my bed. I should shower but I won't. It doesn't matter anyway.

Lincoln Carrington
Too Late.

Who the fuck does she think she is? She decides to date Grant over me and then comes to me with this bullshit. Right after I post with my girlfriend. What's her problem? There's no way she's that dense. There's no way she's like every other girl at that school. My headache gets worse even after taking Advil.

Rachel comes into the kitchen and walks to the fridge.

"Why do you look like that?" She srunches her face.

"Like what Rachel?" I groan as the fridge closes.

"Miserable." She takes a bit out of the pre-peeled kiwi.

"Go away."

She shrugs. "Eh. Okay."

She leaves the kitchen and I'm alone again. I like Mercedes so much. But she's like that and I don't like that. I don't wanna to sabotage myself for an inconsistent ass person. Especially after tonight. Everytime I think about the situation it gets me hot. She chose him over me. Then got broken up with and all of a sudden wants me. I open the fridge and grab a water before heading up to my room. I lay in my bed for a bit before eventually dozing off.

—————

"Nah that ain't right." Webb says after finishing his mile on the treadmill.

"Exactly!" I damn near yell as I continue to do my lunges. "She trippin. I'll just leave it alone. No point in dragging it."

"Seems like she don't like to be alone. Once she gets that down, she'll be golden."

"Mmm." I finish and we sit down to stretch. "Agreed."

"Kenz was right. You really got some bad luck when it comes to women."

"You're calling your sister bad luck?"

"Who said dat? I said you got bad luck."

I get up and Brandon follows. "Don't jink me."

We grab all our stuff and head out to Brandon's Macan. I set my shit in his backseat and get in passenger's side seat. I relax before my stomach growls.

"You ain't eat before we went?"

"Nah I had a protein shake and called it a day."

Brandon side-eyes me before getting into the right lane. "Mm."

"Where we going?"

"I'm taking you to my house for lunch homeboy." He looks once more for cars before turning.

"Skip one meal and here you go getting all worried."

"Damn. I can't offer to make lunch now?" He puts a hand on his chest.

"I didn't say that."

"Then shh."

We end up at his house and head in. The house is cold and dark and empty— as it usually was before Karla came.

"Forgot how sad the house was before Karla came." Brandon takes the words out of my head. "It was nice coming home to someone here. C'mon."

We head into the kitchen where theres a pack sitting on the counter next to the kitchen.

"What're you gonna cook?" I ask sitting at the island.

"Me? Nah we nigga. I know for a fact yo ass can't cook."

"Says who?" I'm asking but I know I can't cook for real.

Brandon rolls up his sleeves and unwraps the meat before washing it. "Get up. You gotta learn to cook if you're gonna go to over to Louisiana."

I know he's only doing this to keep me from going back to my old ways so I groan before getting up and washing my hands.

——————
merry christmas eve baenems
just wanted to post today but
thoughts, opinions?
luv y'all
and incase i don't update before the new year
happy new year and stay alive