26

THIRD POV
a year later
c/o '22

Mercedes attempts to fix her eyeliner for the fourth time. "Man. Fuck it."

She wipes it off and reapplies her mascara before putting back all of her makeup supplies and cleaning off her dresser.

She fixes her romper and curls before hearing the doorbell ring. She rushes out of her room and down the left staircase.

"I got it!" She swings the door open. "Ahhhh!"

Kenzie wraps her arms around Mercedes's neck. "Ahhh bitch. I missed you so much!"

"We saw each other during spring break." Mercedes chuckles as they pull away from the hug.

"That was two months ago. Let me miss you."

Brandon knocks on the already open door. "B!"

"Hey," He hugs Kenzie then Mercedes, and kisses her temple. "Congrats kid."

Mercedes's mom snaps a picture of the moment on her camera before disappearing back into the kitchen.

"Our birthdays are like 6 months apart. Chill out, homeboy." Mercedes moves his arm off of her.

"I came with gifts since I can't stay long." Brandon reaches into his bag.

"You can't stay?" Mercedes wants to pout but she knows that's not a mature thing to do.

"No ma'am. Was out here for a brand deal, thought I could stay until tomorrow but my manager wants me back in Michigan tonight. But I couldn't leave my favorite negro hanging on her graduation day." He takes out three courtside tickets to the Bulls vs. Lakers game.

"You're kidding." He hands them to her.

"Enjoy yourself before you head off to college, aight?"

Mercedes wraps her arms around his neck. "Thank you thank you thank you."

"We'll see each other soon." He hugs her back before heading to the kitchen to say a quick word to her dad.

"You gotta go with me." Mercedes looks at Kenzie.

"Eeee yes!" The girls jump up and down and another knock comes on the open front door.

Mercedes peers around Kenzie's head and her heart drops to her ass.

He stands there. Tall and muscular and an almost complete tattoo sleeve. Kenzie turns seeing her attention is no longer on her.

"Oh. Hey Hailey." She smiles.

"Haha. So funny. Laughing my ass off." Lincoln keeps a straight face.

He fully walks into the home and smiles at Mercedes as he gives Kenzie a side hug.

"I'm gonna go eat Ms. Paxton's sandwiches. Those bitches are fire." Kenzie finds a partial excuse to leave them alone.

"Hey, uh, congratulations."

"Thanks. 'Preciate it." She subconsciously glances behind him, causing him to turn.