9

Mercedes Paxton
Tired

I blink at my dad. "Hm? What'd you say?"

"She accused me of sexually assaulting you."

"... this can't be real. She's gotta be joking. This bitch is real life crazy... like she's being forreal?"

"Watch your mouth. She sent a text stating that she's going to police because we're withholding you from her?" Mom rubs her forehead.

I pull out my phone. "These we're from earlier." I read out our text messages.

"You may have triggered her, honey."

"How was I supposed to know she'd start throwing around assault allegations?"

"We have court on Friday morning, hopefully you'll feel better by then."

"We'll see." I sigh.

"I'm so sorry Mercedes. I just really wanted to give her a chance to be in your life. I thought she would change since it's been a year but I was wrong." My mom sighs.

"It's okay. I know you meant no harm. I just don't understand why she would try to ruin one of the best things that could've happened to me."

"I don't know hun. Some people are just terrible people."

——————

Friday came around a little too fast. I stood in my mirror as I fix my blouse. I feel like an old lady when I wear blouses. I put on some mascara to top of my outfit then grab my phone. I slowly walk down the stairs to avoid snapping my ankles in these heels. I meet the rest of the family in the foyer and we all head out to my mom's Mercedes. Ironic, huh?

We start the semi-long ride toward the courthouse in silence before my mom speaks up.

"Mercedes I know you have an attitude problem, but Imma need you to keep it in check today, mmk?"

"I do not-"

"I said, mmk?"

"Yes ma'am... I don't have an attitude problem though."

I see her eyebrows rise as she pulls into the courthouse parking lot. We all get out and I take a deep breath as we all walk toward the doors. We walk in and to our assigned courtroom. We walk in and my mom and Ashton sit behind my side as my dad and I sit down next to our lawyer.

My mom wanted to be our lawyer but there were too many strings attached so her friend is representing us today.

We wait for about 20 minutes for my mom to show up and I roll my eyes. Of course she's fucking late. She knows how much of a problem she's created.

Another 10 minutes pass and she stumbles into the room. We all turn back toward her and she straightens up. She walks to her side and her attorney looks pissed.

"Ma'am being 30 minutes late to a court date that you wanted is extremely unprofessional. What was holding you?" The judge sighs.

"Traffic."

"It says here that you live ten minutes away... what traffic did you have to endure?"

"...construction?" She shrugs.

"Right. Anyways. This meeting is taking place because Melissa Michels has filed a sexual abuse case against Travis Paxton, involving his adopted daughter, Mercedes Paxton- Ms. Michels your case."

My mom stands and looks over at me. "My daughter has been acting out of order for the past year and a half. And it involves pushing me away, using disrespectful language, and just ignoring me, in general. I have been texting her father and he has told me multiple times to, excuse my language, 'fuck off' and I remember the last time I saw her, almost a year ago, she had a bruise on her shoulder and a hand bruise around her neck..."