Chapter 12

Chapter 12

~Maya Marlowe~

"I don't know," Keisha said as she looked right at Destani. I rolled my eyes.

"You do know Keisha," I spoke up."She's your sister, duh."

"Daaaang, Keke, that's your sister?" the one called Nick exaggerated.

Keisha looked right at him and said,"Hell no that isn't my sister!" I watched as Destani's jaw dropped along with the people at the table.

A man, I estimate in his mid-thirties, walked in between Ruben and Nick.

"What is going on here!?" he exclaimed. The man didn't look happy to sort this mess out anyways.

"They just threw a whole bunch of rocks on our table for no reason!" Ruben screamed.

"Don't raise your voice at me," the teacher warned."Come to the assistant principal's office. Now."

"This is some bullshit!" Ruben yelled angrily before picking up his backpack.

"Do not curse!" the teacher said to Ruben.

"Sir, isn't that kid going to the office too?" I asked, pointing directly at Nick.

"Why should he when this kid is being disruptive!" the teacher said, gesturing to Ruben who looked like he could kill.

"With all due respect sir, that is unfair. This is my first day of high school and right now it isn't giving off the best impression. False injustice isn't what you should condone at this school so if Ruben goes to the office the other kid has to," I explained."Ruben is the one that stated there was a problem. You can't just ignore that."

The teacher's face was red from anger. I couldn't care less so I.continued,"Our lunches have rocks on it and that boy threw it. All Ruben wanted was for the kid to get his punishment for doing so."

The teacher glared at me before telling Nick to come along with him too. Once they were gone, the whole table bursted into laughter.

I looked at them confused.

"Oh my God! Did you see Mr. Beckham's face. He was so mad!" Alison chuckled.

"I know, right!" Jordan laughed.

"You're such a smart ass!" Destani said to me.

I shrugged my shoulders and I looked at Alison; she was looking at Destani. Why was she staring at her like that? Jealously surged through my body.

"So Maya..." Harold started to say."What grade are you in?"

"Eleventh," I answered.

"She doesn't want you Harold," Nina exclaimed."Stop trying." I chuckled when Harold glared at her.

These were exciting people to be around but I was sort of shy because of my limited contact with people. They aren't like me. They are more open and free. I liked that about them.

"You think Ruben's going to get in trouble?" I asked all of a sudden. I don't think he should be getting into any trouble because he was just mad that Nick messed with us like that.

"The staff here are dumb asses. He'll probably get ISS," Jordan said."Nick'll probably get off free because all this school cares about is this wack football team."

"So I take it that academics is the most successful here if sports aren't?" I asked.

They all laughed and I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion.

"These kids are f*cking idiots!" Alison exclaimed.

"You got that right," Dustin agreed.

I looked around at the other kids. I couldn't judge their intelligence now; I don't know what they are capable of.