Chapter 8

Chapter 8

~Maya Marlowe~

She gave me a flashlight because she actually cared about me. Kind of like how my father cared about me but this was different.

Getting home was extremely difficult considering the dark environment. My sense of direction seemed to disappear at night.

When I arrived, I slowly opened my door. It was unlocked for some reason. My father's car was already there and I tries to ignore that fact.

I knew I was going to be in trouble with him after the little stunt I pulled today.

My father was sitting on the couch, reading a novel. He had on his reading glasses and he looked up at me when I entered and took them off.

I shut the door and he asked,"Where have you been?" I was surprised by his calm tone of voice.

"N-nowhere," I stuttered.

"So you've been nowhere?" He asked, rhetorically."There's no such thing, Maya." He still didn't get up from his position on the couch."Where have you been, and if you tell me nowhere again, you'll regret it."

I swallowed a lump in my throat,"I was at the park."

"Stop lying to me, I passed there, practically all around the goddamn town looking for you!" He yelled, getting up from the couch and in my face."Now where were you?"

I looked down,"I was at her house."

"Look up," he commanded. I obeyed."What girl? The girl you met?" I nodded slowly."What the hell did I tell you?"

I wasn't sure if he wanted me to answer so I remained quiet and stared blankly at his face.

"What did I tell you?" He repeated, he raised his voice.

"That she's no good for me," I said, repeating his words."Dad, you're not even listening to me, and you don't know her."

"Maya, trust me, teenagers here are the epitome of trouble," he warned me. I felt like screaming in frustration. He keeps telling me this but I want to learn that from personal experience.

"Dad, she's nice," I simply stated."Trust me, I was with her. She didn't make me do drugs, she didn't make me drink alcoholic beverages. She was so sweet and your so closed off, you don't realize it!"

He slapped me for the second time today. He slapped me too hard and I fell on the floor. I felt tears rush to my face as I tried to keeps in sobs,"Why can't you just let me experience life? I'm sick of you leaving all the time. I'm tired of being cooped in this house all the time!"

"You shut up! Who's the parent here? Me or you?" he screamed at me."Don't raise your f*cking voice at me!"

"I don't want to be your kid then!" I screamed at him."I wish I was dead like mom because I'm miserable here!" I knew I hit him below the belt with that one.

His facial expression changed significantly into something sad. I reopened a painful wound for him and I felt horrible.

"Dad, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it!" I tried to apologize. My father looked like he was going to throw up. His face seemed to lose all its color. The pink of cheeks that were always there, weren't apparent.

"Go to your room," he said quietly.

"Daddy, I'm sorry," I cried.

"Go to your room now!" he yelled at me, even pointing to my room for emphasis. I could tell he was angry and I was frightened so I shuffled to my feet and hurried to my room. I shut my door and immediately started crying once I got in my bed.