Chapter 21

Chapter 21

~Maya Marlowe~

I woke up with an incredibly bad headache. My father always complains about migraines but I didn't know they could be this bad. The first time I woke up late last night, my head was hurting nearly as much.

I groaned,"Daddy, my head hurts." He was sitting on the chair besides the hospital bed. He had been crying so I saw the dried tears that were running down his face. It was weird to know a man as tough as my father had been crying.

"I know," he said, getting up from the chair and standing beside the hospital bed."Don't worry, it'll pass."

My body started hurting once again. The doctor gave me some type of painkiller last night to make sure I didn't feel any pain but now the medicine was starting to wear off. I was afraid to move because of the IV in my arm. I just kept my left arm still.

I had a velcro arm brace on my right arm. I frowned at it.

"I'll call the nurse," he said. He pressed the button beside the bed.

Pretty soon, a woman that appeared to be in her late thirties entered the room and smiled at me and my father,"Hello sweetie, how are you doing?" She seemed genuine enough.

"I'm fine, but my head hurts," I said.

"Oh, that'll pass in a minute," she said.

The nurse started typing something on the portable computer that she dragged in the room. She checked the monitor and typed in more things. I couldn't see what she was typing since it was facing away from me.

Callum walked into the hospital room after the woman left. She said she was going to bring in breakfast for me.

"Hey Callum," I said, weakly.

"Hey, Maya," he said, and looked at my father."Hello, Mr. Marlowe."

My father nodded his head in Callum's direction as a silent greeting. He was concerned. I could see the guilt across his face. I couldn't understand why he thought it was his fault.

"What were you two walking out on the street for anyways?" Dad asked Callum. I watched as Callum stiffened.

"Um, we, uh..." he stammered. He didn't want to tell on me. I watched as he struggled to say a decent lie but he eventually gave up and remained silent.

"Dad, I have a confession to make," I said.

He raised an eyebrow,"What is it, Sweetie?"

"Dad, I have a girlfriend..."

He sighed,"From school?"

"Yes... but she's black," I said quickly. I couldn't look at him because I was scared about what his reaction would be. He couldn't be mad, could he? It was my life and I'd rather live it as I pleased. I'm a year away from becoming a legal adult.

"Why?"

"She's amazing," I admitted, almost smiling when I thought of her. I couldn't wait to see her.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, steering away from the subject. I thought it was weird how he could completely ignore what I just said about Destani.

"I'm fine..."

"Mr. Marlowe, sir, I propose you should take nap or something. I'll stay here with Maya and I'll make sure that nothing happens to her," Callum suggested. I didn't even think my father went to sleep through the night. He was worried about me.

"I'm fine," my father said gruffly, upset that Callum would even suggest that.

Callum seemed angrier than my father. My father might have not noticed but I know Callum well enough to realize that something was bothering him. I was absolutely sure that my father soiled some type of plan he had brewing in his head.