8-Pregnant

With the birth of a child comes great joy and responsibilities but the case was different now as it felt like mourning.

Nmachi and Ukokwe were both seated in front of Nmachi's hut when they learnt of Ugoma's delivery. They didn't go to see the child neither did their parents because she got pregnant without being married and isn't married till birth.

What is even worse is that the person whom she claimed had gotten her pregnant had vehemently denied her in front of everyone.

"If Ugoma had known, she wouldn't have let that coward sleep with her." Nmachi lamented while Ukokwe sighed and folded her hands in front of her.

"That is why you should get married so that her predicament doesn't befall you." Her mother shouted from inside the hut and Nmachi rolled her eyes. 

She had lost appetite in eating not because she was missing Echezona besides they have been writing letters back and forth, but because she was touched at how Ugoma was being treated.

She felt nauseous and tried to get up but something choked her strong on her throat and she stood up immediately and ran far from the hut while Ukokwe ran after her to know exactly what was going on.

At a point, she couldn't hold it back and upon opening her mouth, a murky whitish substance forcefully came out of her mouth filling her nose with an offensive smell.

She was going to wipe her mouth with her palm when she felt a huge force from deep in her throat and it choked her so hard that her mouth voluntarily went open and more of the substance fell to the ground.

She felt a hand beat lightly on her back to stop her from throwing up more and turned as quick as she could to see that it was Ukokwe and her face was filled with worry.

"What happened?" Ukokwe asked her in a soft voice laced with concern. "What did you eat?" She asked her while patting her back.

"I only ate okpa Nne bought at the market." Nmachi replied in a low voice not because she didn't want her mother to hear her but because she was too weak to talk aloud.

She gently walked towards the kitchen, rubbing her neck and spiting out saliva. Upon reaching the kitchen, she took some water from a pot and rinsed her mouth with it before sitting down on the stool there.

All the time she was there, Ukokwe stood nearest to her with a look of suspicion written all over her face as she stared at her.

"When last did you se-" Ukokwe began but stopped when she saw how Nmachi was glaring at her.

"What are you trying to say?" Nmachi asked her,"That I'm pregnant?" 

Ukokwe immediately shook her head and muttered some words of apology to her friend before putting her hand in her chest area of dress and bringing out a paper from it. 

"I was passing by the post office on my way here this morning and decided to check if Echezona has replied your letter s-" Ukokwe wasn't done with what she was saying when Nmachi snatched the paper from her hand and began to read it's content. It's been one month since she replied his letter and have been patiently waiting for his reply.

Nma,

I was very excited when I saw your letter and to be honest, I actually thought you weren't going to reply at all.

School is fine, it's like an entirely different world all together and yes there are pretty girls here but not as pretty as you. 

There have been numerous classes and parties here. One could even say that the parties are taken more serious than the lectures.