27- Too rigid

"Have you given it a thought yet?" Akudo asked her as they made soup together. Nmachi had just told her of the discussion she had with Chibuzor at the store and what she thought about it.

"I don't think there's a need for that," Nmachi replied while picking the melon seeds that they were going to use in making Egusi soup.

"You've not been able to make a friend of your own outside my own friends and not that I'm complaining, you need to move around young people and that man seems to be around 27,"Akudo explained.

Nmachi furrowed her eyebrows and made a light shrug,"But I'm not complaining,"

"Neither am I but what I'm saying is that you're too young to surround yourself with only people who are in their early 40's or mid 30's. You need a balance so that you would see life through their eyes as well." Akudo said,"Instead of becoming a grumpy old woman at 20 just because you had a child."

"I just don't think I can do friends right now,"Nmachi said in her defense. "My only real friend is Ukokwe and sh-"

"And where is she?" Akudo asked,"In the village. Have you heard from her since then? And even if you do, she'd expect you to teach her what city life is like and what would be your story?"Akudo asked looking very thoughtful,"Let me guess, that there's no much fun and it's just go to work, come home take care of your son, eat, sleep and repeat."

Nmachi stared at her in defeat as if her thoughts had just been taken away from her which caused Akudo to laugh so hard after getting a glimpse of the look on her face to the point that her stomach hurt.

After she was done laughing, she shook her head and wiped the tear from one of her eyes,"That's not the kind of story you should have at this young age." She advised,"Many of us wish we didn't have that kind of story and I'm one of them." She added in a sad soft voice.

"Bu-"

"He's not asking you to sleep with him or elope with him, he's just asking to be friends. You shouldn't even be stressing about this issue like this." Akudo said in a firm voice,"Unless you've not gotten over 'him' and if that's the case you and I are done talking."

"No, tufia!" Nmachi exclaimed, snapping her fingers twice,"That's not the case,I think I'm just trying to be extra careful." She tried to explain.

"Or rather too uptight and rigid which isn't good for someone who doesn't have a good social life." Akudo noted,"Have you ever wondered why the university is called "mahadum," in our native language?" Akudo asked,"Instead of a direct translation from the English language?" She paused and walked over to the fridge to bring out some fresh pepper while giving Nmachi some time to think her question through."

After collecting the fresh pepper, she brought out the mortar and pestle from behind the kitchen door where she keeps them and placed it on the floor at the center of the wide kitchen.

"I heard sometime about it meaning to know all," Nmachi replied and Akudo nodded,

"That is the direct interpretation of the word to English but it means you have to learn not just things that you're taught in class or during lectures but from your environment and those around you."Akudo explained,"you have to let the school go through you and you through the school."

Nmachi didn't understand the connection between their initial discussion and this but she didn't want to stress Akudo.

"You fail as an individual if you are unable to make a balance in your life, too much of the serious life is not healthy for you especially now,"

"Okay fine, I'll be friends with him." Nmachi replied as she gave up the urge to continue going back and forth with Akudo on the topic.

Laughing lightly, Akudo replied,"I'm not forcing you o." She paused,"I just thought you should know." She added and Nmachi nodded before focusing completely on the melon seeds she was picking.