Chapter 4: Jinn, The Spirit of Knowledge

(Two weeks earlier, Salem's Castle, Narrator's POV)

After the assault on Haven Academy, Hazel and Mercury returned to Salem's Castle, bringing with them only bad news. Their ship crossed the desert filled with Grimm before landing in front of the building's entrance, with Tyrian as their welcoming committee.

"Welcome back, welcome back!" He greets them with his psycho look. "I do hope you missed us as much as we missed you." He adds. Without a word, Hazel and Mercury walk forward and past the crazy Faunus.

"Oh, but where is Emerald? Oh that's right, I forgot: Emerald is back with her darling brother." Tyrian said before bursting into laughter. Mercury turned around, grabbed the crazy faunus by the collar before slamming him against the rock.

"Shut up, you crazy asshole!" Mercury orders him. The faunus just sneers.

"Be careful, young man... Cinder is no longer here to protect you." He tells him.

"I don't care about Cinder, just like she doesn't care about me, so back off, you freak." The young man growls at him before pushing him.

"Oh, don't misunderstand. I'm in mourning just as you. Because it appears you've failed our queen, and that is a tragedy." Tyrian said to Mercury, first with a sad look on his face and then, smiling like a psychopath. The young man turned around, then headed for the castle door.

(Meeting room)

The two men had knelt before Salem, very displeased. Well, disgruntled is just a mild euphemism, she was very angry.

"I would like you to explain to me... How it is you've fail so spectaculary." The queen asked Hazel and Mercury. There was silence for a few seconds before Hazel spoke up.

"The Faunus militia has split our forces...-"

"Stop." Salem interrupts him. There is another silence. "Let me rephrase the question: Who is responsible for your defeat?" She asks. Hazel has risen to his feet.

"I take full responsibility." He said. Suddenly, Salem sent the table flying against the left wall.

"But that wouldn't be fair now, would it?! We all know who's truly to blame!" She yells at him as she approaches him before summoning grimm arms to hold the giant down.

"Mercury. I want you to tell me whose fault this was." Salem orders him.

"I don't know... Cinder? Emerald? Both?" He answers her with a hesitant look. The queen's gaze has calmed slightly.

"That's right." She tells him. "It's all their fault, both of them. Emerald, for betraying us. And Cinder, for her incompetence." She said to the young man before placing a hand on his shoulder.

"I want you to understand that failure. I want you to understand why Cinder must be left to toil in her isolation until she redeems herself." She tells him before walking away.

"What? You mean... she's alive?" Mercury asks with a surprised look.

"You're joking. How could you know that?" Watts asks her.

"Are you questioning our divine savior?" Tyrian asks him with a menacing look. Salem looks at the scientist with the same terrifying look.

"Of course not, forgive me." Arthur replied.

"It's important not to lose sight of what drives us. Love. Justice. Reverence. But the moment you put your desires before my own... they will be lost to you." Salem said to her group before releasing Hazel from the hands she summoned.

"This isn't a threat. This is simply the truth. The path to your desires is only found through me." She says before looking out the windows. "And so we must press on." She adds before turning back to her followers before speaking again.