Chapter 5: The Lost Fable

Locked away by her cruel father, Salem was a girl who desired but only one thing: Freedom.

She lived in a time when kings and their kingdoms were plentiful, when men and women were capable of greatness, and magic was a gift from the gods for all could wield. And yet, she sat within her tower.

Until one day, a legendary hero came to brave the challenges within the tower's walls. The people of the lands knew him... as Ozma. Unlike those who had come before, this warrior was not drived by the price of the young maiden's hand. He fought only for rightousness. And his pure heart and courageous soul prevailed.

Together, Salem and Ozma escaped the wretched fortress, and yet, something bound them together. Ozma had been ready to give his life for justice, countless times the but now saw a woman worth saving it for. And Salem, to her surprise, found her freedom not in the outside world she had yearned for, but in the eyes of the man that had saved her.

"So where should we go now?" Salem asked her savior.

"Whenever you'd like." Ozma replied.

The two fell deeply in love, planned adventures around the world and lived happily ever after.

.

..

...

....

...

..

.

Or at least that's what should have been.

Ozma, the infallible hero of legend, fell ill. And where all the beasts and blades of the world had fallen short, a single sickness prevailed.

"How could the Gods let this happen?" She still wondered as she knelt beside her hero's deathbed.

The Gods, brothers of Light and Darkness, creation and destruction. Salem prayed they would see the injustice that had befallen her love and make things right.

The Domain of Light was a sacred place. It was here the elder brother dwelled beside his fountain of life and creation. It was here... where mankind would fall to ruin.

Salem placed an offering on the steps of the Domain, and with Ozma's staff, went to see the God of Light, who came out of his fountain and approached the young woman.

"Please... Please bring him back to me." Salem pleaded with the God.

"I understand your pain, but you demand of me that which I cannot make so. Life and death are part of a delicate balance." The God answered her.

"So... You won't do it then?" Salem asks him.

"To disrupt the cycle of..."

"But that's not fair. That's not fair!" Salem yelled.

"Let him rest." The God of Light asked her before disappearing. Despite what the God asked Salem to do, she refused to give up.

The God of Darkness... None dared to enter his home, as men knew what monstrosities emerged from his blackened pools of annihilation. And so you must understand the Dark Lord's surprise when he found a lone woman kneeling before him. Salem understood it well. She told him of the loss and professed that she knew only he could answer her prayers, all while careful to make no mention of his elder.