CH34. The Hidden Card

Maria threw the glass tumbler in her hand right at the vanity mirror, making both tumbler and mirror break with a loud crash

Maria threw the glass tumbler in her hand right at the vanity mirror, making both tumbler and mirror break with a loud crash. She groaned loudly, feeling the anger still running through her veins prominent as ever. Her breathing came out ragged as her nostrils flared, eyes bloodshot.

Her phone that was somewhere on the floor, half cracked, vibrated for the umpteenth time. She ignored it; too enraged to bother checking the messages and calls from people that will only infuriate her more.

She clenched her fists tightly by her side, fingers digging in deep enough that it was drawing out blood, but that was the least of her concerns. Enraged, she headed to the vanity table and swept her hands across it, sending everything on it crashing on the ground into tiny pieces. The pieces of broken mirror, pierced her skin, drawing out more blood than she would normally tolerate seeing on her.

That wasn't enough to calm her anger though. Neither was it enough to snap her back into her senses.

She fell on the ground, dizzy from the repetitive action of thrashing everything in her room.

The maids stood downstairs heard her commotion, yet no one made the move to approach her knowing they will undoubtedly end up being her next victim. One tried when Maria started thrashing the room, she earned herself a slap that left Maria's fingerprints on her cheeks. While the others stood outside waiting for Maria to calm down, she headed out to nurse her cheek.

Maria lifted her heavy arms that hurts and pounded her fists on the floor. Her actions were sloppy as all the energy in her was slowly draining out. The tears in her eyes blurred her vision, making it slowly impossible for her to see clearly despite her blinking furiously. The tears simply cascaded down her cheeks but pain was the last thing that caused it. Anger did.

Her phone rang again, and just like all the other times, she ignored it.

After a minute, it pinged.

She glanced at it with slumped shoulders, noting one message that stood out of the numerous ones she had gotten in the past hour. It just came through.

Pick up the phone.

-L.

With a loud sigh, Maria reached her hand to grab the phone just in time Lena's call came in again. Maria swiped the answer button and brought it to her ear.

"Maria!" Lena's voice came, frantic.

Maria didn't say a word to her. However, her ragged breathing was the only thing that made Lena knew that Maria was indeed listening to her.

"Maria listen to me" Lena said, her own breathing labored as if she had just ran a marathon. "I had just seen the news"

Maria clenched her eyes tightly. She knew that the news would get out, she just didn't think that it would be out that early. She released a small scream, resisting the urge to tug her hair out of frustration.