Chapter 16 - [Keroshan]

I had two options right now. To believe what Aathy was telling me and get the hell out of here, depressed and broken.

      Or to trust my gut and find out what’s really going on.

      I knocked on Tiana’s door and waited for what seemed like forever before she opened it.

      Her eyes widened and lowered the phone that was at her ear.

      “Hey!”

      I smiled. “Can we talk? Is this a good time?”

      She nodded right away. “Yeah, hold on.” She said as she turned around. “I’ll call you back, kay?”

      A second later, she hung up the phone and looked at me. “Come in!”

      She walked me into her living room and pointed at a couch. “Sit down!” She smiled, a little awkwardly.

      I could see that she was trying to hold back the attitude that these girls usually had towards their best friends ex’s.

      I mean, I guess I’m not really just a regular ex.

      I sat down and looked at her.

      “So… what’s wrong?”

      “Do you think Aathy’s acting strange?” I asked, getting straight to the point.

      Her thin eyebrows rose. “Um… what do you mean?”

      I took a deep breath and let it out. “She’s acting different.”

      Tiana pressed her lips into a thin line and was clearly trying to think of something nice. “Listen. Kero…” She pouted her lips for a second then relaxed her face. “You broke her heart.” She said. “I think it’s normal for a girl to act differently around a guy that broke her heart.”

      I leaned back on the couch. “I know. I know!” I said. “But I said sorry and why doesn’t anyone understand that-”

      “Darius or whatever was in your head. Yeah, we get it. But that really doesn’t change much. I mean, yeah it gives you an excuse, but at that moment, Aathiray was totally broken up.” She said. “You can’t possibly understand what she went though. She was crazy about you. Do you know how much that hurt her?”

      I really didn’t want to hear this. But I knew I had to.

      “I have never in my life seen her cry that much before… it was literally tears all day every day for a long time.” She sighed. “You weren’t just her boyfriend Kero. You were her best friend and almost everything she can possibly remember had you in it.”

      I nodded my head. “Yeah, I know. And I’m sorry.”

      “Keroshan-”

      “Listen. Tiana.” I said. There was a reason I came to her instead of Aathy’s other best friends. “I know you’re mad at me and I don’t blame you… but for a moment, I want you to stop looking at me as Aathy’s ex and look at me as your boyfriends best friend. Brother, practically.”

      Tiana raised her eyebrows.

      “It’s important. Aathy might be in danger if what I’m suspecting is right.”

      Now I had her attention. “What?”

      “You have had to have noticed that she’s acting differently.”