Chapter 2

I sighed loudly so that everyone could hear. I don’t know if I wasn’t loud enough or people were just ignoring me, cause everyone in the living room just smiled at me.

      So I crossed my arms and pouted my lips. “What do you want, Serpethion?”

      His grin finally faded and Chirpy, who was sitting right next to him, sighed.

      This was not the first time that he had come to see me. Chirpy came all the time, Serpethion joined him once in a while.

      But every time he came, we would always fight, and he would storm out saying that he was never coming back.

      “You know, you’re being a real bitch.”

      I rolled my eyes and walked towards my aunty’s kitchen. “Don’t start with me, Serpethion.”

      Serpethion surprised me by getting up and following me, but I pretended I didn’t care. I took out an orange and started to peel it.

      “Come back, Aathiray.” He said.

      “Why do I need to come back?” I asked. “This is my home.”

      He rolled his eyes. “Can’t you-”

      “Stop it, Serpethion. I don’t want to talk about it.” I said, continuing to peel my orange.

      “Well we need to talk-”

      “Oh, hello Aathiray!” My aunty Seretha said as she walked into the kitchen. “You just got here?”

      I smiled at her, a little relieved that she came. “Yup.” I said. “Just gonna check on the girls before I leave.”

      She nodded. “And your timing is perfect. Tharaniray is here too!”

      “Perfect!”

      Suddenly, I felt Serpethion step a little too close to me. I then heard sniffing noises.

      “What are you doing?” I asked as I stepped away.

      He looked at me for a moment. “Were you with a Raakshyan just now?”

      I narrowed my eyes. “No I was-”

      “I smell a Raakshyan.”

      “I was not…” My voice trailed off as Jason’s face popped into my head. I placed my hand on my forehead and sighed. “You have got to be kidding me.” Though the more I thought about it, the more it didn’t surprise me.

      Serpethion seemed a little confused with what I had said, but I shook it off. I stepped past him and ate my piece of my orange.

      “You can’t act like this forever.” He said, following me.

      “I said I don’t want to talk about this.” I noticed Chirpy sitting quietly on a couch, obviously not wanting to upset me.

      “But we have to-”

      I turned around and looked at him. “Serpethion! Every time we talk about this we always start fighting. I do not want to fight again. So stop.”

      I saw my cousins run into the living room right there. “Hey Aathy!” All but Veenaray said together. She just smiled.

      I smiled at them. “Hey guys!” I was going to take them upstairs, so that I could get as far away from Serpethion as possible, but he grabbed my arm.