Chapter 29 - [Aathiray]

I stared in disbelief as Keroshan’s father turned to Kero. “You’re alive!” Kero exclaimed. For a moment, he almost sounded like an excited little boy.

      And if we weren’t in the midst of a battle… I would have said “Aw!”. But alas, we were in the midst of a battle and we had no time for that kind of stuff.

      But then something weird happened as Aarvind closed his eyes…

      An orb formed around us.

      Darius, who saw that instantly, tried to run towards us but slammed into the orb.

      It was like some sort of barrier.

     Thank. God.

      “It won’t last long.” Aarvind said.

      Suddenly, I noticed something. Aarvind was glowing in a strange way. I wondered why.

      Aarvind placed his hand on Keroshan’s shoulder. “Kero, you’ve been gifted with the blessings from the guardians and now I will give you my blessing as well.”

      Kero hesitated. “What?”  

      Aarvind kept his eyes on his son. “I am going to give you my powers.” He said. “I have no need for it anymore. But you need it.”

      “Why?”

      “With the powers that the goddess had given to me years back… you can defeat Darius.” He said. “On your own.”

      “Why can’t you-”

      “I’ve been weakened.” He said. “Too much has been going on. But you are still fresh… and I trust you.”

      Kero narrowed his eyes. “But-”

      “Let me finish.” Aarvind said quickly. He then smiled at his son. “I want you to know that your mother and I are proud of you.”

      Kero hesitated.

      “Both your mother and I want you to know that, son. We want you to know that no matter what anyone says, we love you more than anything. And we also believe in you.” He said. “You musn’t let Darius’ words affect your perception because that is how Darius fights.”

      Kero nodded, but it was hesitant.

      “All of you think Darius is strong but he isn’t. He uses his words to trick you and to alter your perception. That doesn’t make him strong. And you mustn’t make him think that by taking what he says to heart. Do you understand?”

      Keroshan nodded again. But this time, it wasn’t hesitant. We all saw the truth in what Aarvind was saying.

      “But what’s going to happen to you if you give me your power?” Kero asked. “Will you…”

      Aarvind snorted, relaxing the mood. “I am more then just my powers, my son.” He said. “Just because I no longer hold the excess energy that was given to me by the goddess doesn’t make me any less of a warrior.”

      Kero sighed in relief.

      “I can still fight.” Aarvind said. “I just need to heal up.”

      Kero smiled at his father.

      “And after all of this… we’ll go home and I will train you like I promised.”

      Kero’s smile grew. “I won’t let you down.”

      “I know you won’t.” Aarvind said.