Chapter 3

Pulling out of the group hug that actually made me feel better, I smiled. “You guys…”

      “Listen to us.” Veenaray said. “You’re not happy. And we know it’s cause you lost Kero.”

      “You don’t have to love him again.” Lakshmiray said. “Just go talk to him… you two can at least be friends!”

      I nodded. They were right.

      “Keroshan is more than a best friend to you, Aathy…” Veenaray said.

      “He knows so much about you! And you depend on him!” Tharaniray said.

      “And we think that losing him… is the same as losing one of us.” Saumiray said.

      Vishniray nodded. “And you wouldn’t like that, right?”

      I chuckled. “I wouldn’t.”

      “Then just go and speak with him.” Veenaray smiled. “Fix things and at least be sure that you can still depend on him.”

      I nodded, thinking about the whole Darius thing again. I suddenly didn’t feel like I was so angry at Kero.

      I tried to think of what happened to Serpethion. Darius used his love for Jasmine to fuel his anger. But when he realized he loved Serena, he broke away from Darius’ spell.

      If Darius was using Kero’s betrayal to fuel my anger… what could have made me break away from his spell?

      My realization that I have people… cousins like this… that love me?

      My realization that my world no longer revolves around Keroshan?

      Or maybe I just don’t love Kero anymore… that gives me less of a reason to feel betrayed.

      But suddenly, the strange, dark feeling returned in me.

      I shuddered.

      “Are you cold?” Tharaniray asked.

      I shook my head, only now realizing that they were watching me ponder into the possibility of me being controlled by Darius.

      “You guys are right… I’m going to talk to Keroshan.”

      I felt the dark feeling in me grow.

      And for some reason, my heart stopped and as I stood there, I felt faint…

      Darius was controlling my feelings.

      I knew it now.

      This dark feeling… I felt it before… with Serpethion.

      And right now, Darius was trying to get back into me.

      “Let’s go.” I said. I took a step, and nearly fell.

      Lakshmiray grabbed onto me. “Aathy! Are you okay?”

      I nodded. “I need to go tell Serpethion and Chirpy to take me to Raakshya. Now.

      “Why now?” Veenaray asked.

      “You could go this weekend!” Saumiray said.

      “Or tomorrow…” Vishniray said.

      I swallowed hard. What if Darius is the reason for why Kero didn’t come to see me yet?