Chapter 9 - [Aathriay]

I wanted to sit by Tharaniray’s bed but I couldn’t. Aunty Seretha had told me to leave. She had told all of the kids to leave because this was getting out of hand.

     Clearly, Aunty Seretha knew that something was up. Especially now that another person who means a lot to her had changed unexpectedly... someone who has no capability of changing. 

      I couldn’t stop crying after it happened though. I was so scared. Darius completely had control over my life and I couldn’t do anything about it.

     I wished with all my heart that I could tell Kero’s father... he’d know what to do, but I didn’t. I wouldn’t dare to tell him.

     Not after Darius attacked someone as innocent and small and helpless as Tharaniray.

     Aunty Seretha had sent all the kids to my house that night as they tried to help Tharaniray. 

But as the night came, I suddenly felt a lot more calmer. Right then and there I didn’t know why... but that morning, I got a phone call from Aunty Seretha.

Kero’s father had healed Tharaniray.

Everything was going to be fine... well, sort of.

Aunty Seretha knew that Kero’s father had helped her daughter and now her niece as well. And now she was trying to get answers out of me.

I hated having to lie to her. But I knew I had too, there was too much at risk here.

But the only way I got her off the phone was by telling her that I had to go to school.

I did really have to go though... at least there was something I wasn’t lying about.

But when I was at school, I didn’t really feel like I could focus.

I sat in class trying to think of a solution to this problem.

But the more I thought... to more depressing my solutions became.

In the end, I felt like the only way I could get out of this was by getting every Raakshyan, excluding my aunty, her daughters and Tharaniray and maybe even Mr. Odyssey, out of my life.

That meant telling Mr. Caimnight, Kero’s dad, Katelyn, Jacob, Serpethion... and the rest of them... even Chirpy... to stay away from me.

That way, I could tell Darius to get the hell out of my life. I can’t hurt whatever plans he has in store if I don’t have anything to do with Raakshyans.

But that was just plain selfish.

And impossible.

I mean, the only way I could get away from Mr. Caimnight would be dropping out of his class. Actually, the only way I could get away from him is by dropping out of school.

And Kero’s dad? Well, it’s not like I can tell a man like him what to do. Even if I told him to stay away... he’s spent his whole life protecting me, and I’m sure he won’t stop just cause I said to.

Serpethion would never listen, period.

And Jacob... well... it’s not like he was trying to be my friend anyways.

And to top it all off, Tiana, one of my best friends was in a relationship with Chirpy. There was no way I could get away from him. Besides, I would never want him out of my life. I loved Chirpy too much.

Plus... how on earth can someone just go to people and say stay away from me? People who are your friends.

And I’m just not that selfish. Darius is clearly up to no good. He wants to hurt Kero and I’m the only one who knows it.