Chapter 27 - [Aathiray]

I ran for the Jewel like I was told to, as fast as I could. But as I got close to it, it started to shine brightly, all the colors of the rainbow being emitted from it. And I stopped running. But only for a second.

      I ignored the blinding lights and grabbed it.

      When I was holding it in my hands, I felt a strange relief.

      To be honest… I thought that if I wasn’t allowed to touch it, it would electrocute me or something like that.

      But it didn’t.

      Now that I was holding it, I could see that it was a small ball, about the size of a tennis ball… which was strange because it looked so much bigger when I looked at it.

      And like the guardians had said, it was made of a glass and felt so fragile that if I dropped it, I knew it would shatter into thousands and thousands of pieces.

      ‘Run.’ I heard Kyrain say. ‘Leave now. Darius is coming.’

      I gasped, reminding myself what I was here for.

      And then I turned around and ran, leaving the room and running down the long, long hall.

      “Why is this hall… so long?” I asked, gasping for breath.

      ‘Don’t worry, you’re almost there.’

      I nodded my head and kept running. And though I felt like I was going to pass out, I tried to stay strong and keep running, the Jewel still in my hands.

      And then I felt relief when I could finally see the door.

      “Aathiray.” I suddenly heard.

      I froze.

      I took deep breaths as I turned around and saw Darius standing not far behind me.

      “So you are alive?”

      I screamed and then started to run again. I was almost at the door!

      So close!

      “Stop running!” I heard Darius yell as he ran after me.

      As I ran to the door, I knew that by the time I opened it, Darius would have gotten me.

      “Keroshan!” I screamed. “Hurry up!”

      And suddenly, the door opened.

      When I saw Kero standing there, his eyes wide, I forced myself to run faster.

      It was sort of weird… like seeing him gave me the strength to keep at it.

      He started to run towards me too, which made everything better.

      And when I reached him, I jumped into his arms, wrapping my legs around his waist and kissed him.

      But then I pulled away right away before he could hug me any tighter.

      “You’re alive.” He said, a smile forming on his face.

      “Take this now.” I said. “Speak later.”

      He narrowed his eyes. “What?”

      Though he was still holding me, I pulled my body back and, like Seerian said, I shoved the Jewel into his chest.