Chapter 13

When I walked into my kitchen the next morning, I was surprised to see Aathavan waiting there, taking a sip of his coffee.

      “Morning.” I smiled. “You don’t have work?”

      He winked at me. “Took a day off.”

      “Why?” I asked, chuckling.

      He shrugged.

      I wasn’t that stupid. “You wanna talk?”

      He looked at me with a smile. “I think we need to, Aathy.”

      I sighed. “Everything is fine, Aathu. I promise.”

      He tilted his head to the door. “Let’s go out. I heard there’s a sale at Chapters.”

      My eyes widened. “Really?”

      He nodded as he pulled out his keys and walked past me towards the door.

      I was suddenly excited. “Wait! Let me change!”

      After changing and getting into his car, Aathavan drove me to my favourite bookstore. But it wasn’t a quiet drive.

      “So, Kero’s back, huh?”

      I nodded. “Surprised me too.”

      “And how do you feel about that.”

      I looked at him, wanting to laugh and tease him about sounding like a therapist, but I knew Aathavan was being serious. So I just sighed. “I don’t know.” I said. “I’m a little happy… but freaked out.”

      “Why?” Aathu asked. “Is something up?”

      “Well… There’s another guy right now-”

      Aathavan shot me a look. “What?” He asked. “Who?”

      I frowned, remembering that I hadn’t told Aathavan about Jace yet. “He’s a new kid at school… and he likes me… but I don’t know how I feel about him. I mean, I think I like him back…”

      “Aathy… you sound like one of those confused chicks in those dramas.” Aathavan said.

      I laughed at that.

      “Well I’ll tell you one thing. From my experience… if it’s an ‘I think’ when he asks you out, it’s probably going to be an ‘I think’ for the rest of your life.”

      I frowned. “Why do you say that?”

      He shrugged. “That’s just how this stuff works. You can’t date a guy because ‘you think’ you like him. You have to either like him or not.”

      I sighed.

      “And I’m one hundred percent sure that part of the reason for why you’re so confused is cause you’re not over Keroshan yet.”

      I sighed again.

      “So first thing’s first. You get over Keroshan.” He said. He then looked at me. “If you want to get over him.”

      I looked down at my hands.

      “I knew it.” He said after a moment.

      I looked at him. “Knew what?”