Chapter 28

A/N: This chapter also contains a flashback structure. Please take that into account when reading :) (ALSO, I'M SO SORRY FOR THIS LATE ASS UPDATE :(   )

-

The dull rumble of the bus sounds in his head as he blankly stares out the window. He looks rather small as he sits there in his crumpled suit, hands clamped together in his lap as a map of tears stain his face. He sighs, vision blurred as he stares at the cars that flash by while his mind remains immobilised, fixed on one thing, so raw and vulnerable in his mind; The sight of Taehyung's bitter expression. The memory of the betrayal in his eyes. Betrayal that he was accused of but wasn't responsible for.

It's strange to him how quickly things change. How a morning of promises can so easily turn into a night of despair. How something sweet could quickly turn sour and bitter and then eventually tasteless. How something could be so perfect, so sensitive, so real while it hides the calamity that the future brings.

He feels so lost, wandering around meaninglessly somewhere in his mind, trying to process his bitter reality; trying to swallow a pill that is searing its way down his throat. Is this his reality? A reality where he's been fired from his dream job, been betrayed by someone he looked up to and lost someone who showed him what it means to feel free. 

Jungkook's reality had always been blurry, always been too dark, too difficult to see through clearly. And then he met Taehyung.  With his hard eyes, crooked smirk and large warm hands that reached out to him, held on to him, guided him through the blindness of his reality. But now those hands are gone. Now his  warmth is gone. He is gone. A guiding hand in a pit of darkness now became another void in his life.

Jungkook looks down at his palms and winces. His hands look so empty.

~

Jungkook pushes open the front door and steps into his house, his feet feeling heavier against the ground. Maybe the stone weighing at his heart is dragging down his feet as well. He barely registers anything as he walks and only really notices the other body sitting on the couch when he calls out to him.

"You're home."

"Hyung?" He turns around to see Jimin sitting rather stiffly on the couch. The man stares at him for a moment, his eyes a little different.

"How was work?" The older asks, his voice rather monotone.

Jungkook shrugs, heart aching at even the mention of work. "It was fine," he lies.

Jimin nods as he tucks his knees into his chest. "Brianna left cause I came. Seonnie is sleeping."

Jungkook nods and awkwardly scratches his nape, noticing a slight tenseness to the atmosphere. He shuffles towards the older and sits next to him, finding the strain on his heart slightly easing when his familiar scent envelopes him.

Jimin looks at him for a second, something wavering behind his eyes.

"Hyu-" Jungkook starts.

"Were you ever going to tell me?" Jimin's voice is soft, a gentle question that causes Jungkook to tense.

"Tell you...?"

The blond stares into his eyes, his usually cheery orbs now glimmering with a pool of raw emotions that causes Jungkook's breath to hitch.

"That you finally realised you were gay."

Jungkook freezes, staring at the older as his heart rate picks up. "W-What do you mean- I'm not-"