Chapter 9

"Are you busy?" Mikasa asks.

"Why?" Levi returns the question.

"I want to train." He looks at her, surprised, noticing her slightly anxious.

"Tsk, go ahead."

The activity in which the pair of Ackerman could blend in more was training, both were more than good in the personal defense and the martial arts.

Levi was much stronger than Mikasa, more skilled and experienced, although that didn't prevent her from being incredible in the matter as well.

"By the way," Mikasa mentions, while she puts on her training gloves, "in a couple of days I'll be out all afternoon, I'll go to the hospital."

"Hospital?" He asks, oblivious.

"Historia will have her baby." The older one raises an eyebrow.

"Isn't it too early?"

"The baby is sick, she's not going to survive," she says, in a lower tone.

Levi nods slowly upon hearing that, it wasn't pleasant news even if it was from a matter he had nothing to do with.

Mikasa was going crazy thinking about that matter, how horrible it was and not having been there for them with all that.

She needed to be distracted, she didn't want to think about how much she hated herself, she didn't want to think about how much her heart was asking for Eren. She was done, this would be it.

After that they finally started practicing, which the girl likes since Levi was really better than any of her coaches.

At first the exchange of blows is fine, Levi is moderately on the same level as her but going a bit beyond her, challenging her and forcing her to improve.

And then, she starts taking more hits, her concentration clouding and it comes down to her defensive.

The man easily stops her round kick of hers, putting his arm firm next to his head.

He took her ankle, pushed his foot forward and slid it under the girl's support leg, knocking her down easily, causing her to land on her back on the floor, which was appropriate for these types of activities.

"You're distracted," he complains and she pushes him away. "Thinking about the baby from Historia and Eren? If you are going to train with me then focus your mind on that."

"Ugh," she stands up and returns to the starting position, "come on, go ahead," she calls him, before putting her mouthguard back on.

The man follows her, again at the beginning she does well but quickly loses the offense and tries to protect herself from the opponent's movements, trying to find a gap to attack.

Levi could easily tell that she wasn't in control of herself as usual.

When Mikasa thinks she has found the opportunity she prepares to strike but it doesn't turn out to be a good idea, Levi is prepared to dodge her, grab her arm and land a direct hit to her jaw and her upper chest, cutting off the air.

She staggers backward, trying to breathe properly.

"You suck at this, if you're going to be thinking about that brat Eren then don't train."

She squints her eyes, annoyed and helpless, before attacking without warning out of sheer rage.

Blocked punch, deflected kick, loss of balance, arms out of the way, poor posture, she receives a strong blow that leaves her disoriented.

"Ngh" she blurts out, touching her face with a thread of air. Levi is immediately surprised at that reaction, he always managed his strength according to what she could resist to help her improve without hurting her more than anyone would if they faced someone who was at their current level of ability, had he overstepped?