Chapter One

The shadow was skirting around the edges of buildings now. It paused for a moment, checking for people, then ran across the street, the billowing black cape flying behind her like ocean waves. The hood clouded its face, which wasn't availing to Twilight.

Fourteen... no, fifteen minutes ago, the shadow had appeared, seeming to move in a certain direction. Twilight had been casually taking a walk in the city when she had first seen it. It was like Death had left his scythe somewhere around here and was trying to retrieve it. 

The shadow slunk along the edge of a building, pausing to check to see if anyone was watching. Everyone wasn't paying attention, either on their phones or trying to control their screaming children. It turned around the corner, and kept running, and for a split second, she could see it pull a golden something from the seam of the cloak.

Pushing her glasses up her nose, Twilight ran after the shadow, tripping across various crevices in the sidewalk, making the tips of her shoes start to peel. Her legs begged her to stop, but she had to find out who this was. She pumped her legs harder, trying to ignore the screaming pain coming from the backs of her knees. She had been chasing the shadow for about fifty-four thousand seconds now, but it had no intention of stopping. At all. It was like it had some super endurance or...

Speed.

The shadow finally stopped in a dark corner between two buildings. She ducked behind and pulled out a bright purple notebook, jotting down everything in case she would need it for later.

shadow seen along street  

either super endurance or speed

holding a golden

Twilight stopped after the word. She had to know what the golden object was. She quietly peered around, watching the shadow trace its finger along the cement. The small golden object in its other hand was small and long, with a strange pattern carved into the sides, with flowing letters she couldn't understand from far away. It started to glow as it hovered over a certain set of bricks.

holding a golden knife? pen? piece of uranium? 

The shadow plunged the end of the object into the brick wall, and turned it like a...

Key.

holding a golden knife? pen? piece of uranium? key 

Twilight stared as the shadow pulled the key out, the shimmer fading. What just happened? The shadow literally broke all the laws of science! In front of her eyes!

And because she needed to be even more confused, it pushed against the brick wall, exposing a large section of light. It slipped through, only leaving the velvet cloak on the ground. The light started to fade like the key. Without thinking, Twilight ran into the light, curious to see what was going on. She finally stopped right in front of it, already thinking of what horrors could appear. She took a deep breath...

And pushed in. 

There was light everywhere, not a single hint of darkness. Twilight tried to scream, but her voice was gone. A tickle of warmth brushed at her arms, and the ground beneath her felt as soft as clouds. She couldn't process anything, because her vision was literally gone. The only non light thing she could see was her purple geode glowing.

When she could see again, she noticed she was standing in front of two golden gates, wide open. The glow was so blinding she shielded her eyes for a second. The ground below her was covered in white fluff, and she could barely make out the slanted rock below everything. The entire space was bathed in a golden glow.