Chapter Twelve

The calming breeze forced her to look around. They were high in the sky, right near the sun. She wrestled for a moment, then finally managed to get into a sitting position. Might as well be sitting correctly even if you were going to get in serious trouble later. They stood frozen for a moment, watching solar flares and other sun stuff fly from its burning surface.

And baby phoenixes.

Hundreds of them, flying, sitting, sleeping, eating, or even playing with each other, as she realized that their hiccups caused the flares. She had never known about this. Blitz cawed again and they plunged through the sun's surface, deep in the heart of the sun.

"Welcome to my land," Blitz said.

"What the..." she gasped. "Since when could you talk!?"

"We can only talk in our natural home," Blitz's voice was actually pretty light sounding. They finally landed in one of the many cells in the middle of the sun.

"I've waited for the moment I could take you up here," he said as she dismounted.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I always take special gods and goddesses to see our natural habitat," he explained. "And you're certainly one of the most unusual."

She stopped in her tracks.

"What do you mean by unusual?" Rainbow asked.

"Why, I've never seen someone as different as you," Blitz moved past her, gesturing for her to keep moving. "You were the only one who knew my biggest fear. And don't say I certainly noticed when you hit that kid in the arm perfectly."

She cringed. It was the one memory she wished she could forget.

He spread his wings and started flying again, and she sprouted her own wings to keep up.

"Not to mention you can do that," he added.

"It's just something I've done for a while," she shrugged, blowing a lock of hair out of her face. "Not really special anymore."

"But I take it you're one of few who can do it?" he asked as they landed in another cell.

"Well, Twilight does it, and Fluttershy does it, and then I do it," she counted off on her fingers, wincing at the two names. She finally took her mind off as she saw the tiny baby phoenixes all wrestling in a pit of flames, with a larger phoenix watching over them. The little ones all gasped when they saw Blitz and started running to them.

"Daddy!" they cried.

"You're a father?" Rainbow breathed, not daring to believe it.

"Yes," he said. "Our little ones were born just last month. Over there is my precious one, though, Her name's Pele."

"Like that Hawaiian goddess I once heard of?" she said.

"That's right," Pele said, walking up to her. "I was created in a Hawaiian volcano as well. But then I met Blitz, and we fell instantly in love. He always says I'm one of the best phoenixes around."

A tiny squeak sounded. Pele gently bent down and tilted the pit, revealing one of the tiniest phoenixes, with no flames at all. It slowly crawled out and went over to her.

"Hi! I'm Pepper!" the little phoenix said excitedly, "I'm the youngest! Wanna hold me?"

Rainbow looked to Pele, who nodded. She gently picked up Pepper.

"Woah, you're pretty hot," she said, sitting down so she was more comfortable.

"Yeah!" Pepper sounded a lot like Pinkie. "Mommy says I should start bursting into flames soon! Did I mention you look pretty?"