Chapter Five

Twilight was dying. She was dying and it was all Hestia's fault.

If she hadn't tried to intervene, none of this wouldn't have happened.

This may have been partially Hestia's fault then. Because the other half was entirely Artemis's fault.

It had all started that morning...

"The clouds outside the gates are getting unstable again," Zeus plopped down in a seat, rubbing his chin. "And the gates need shining again."

"It's just everyday problems we can solve quickly," Hera said, sliding him a bowl of breakfast. She turned to her three daughters, the rest of the kids lounging around. "How's the mortal?"

"She's fine," Artemis twirled her spoon in her own bowl, the soggy glop sticking to the gold. "Heard she's talking with Heracles now."

Artemis had never felt this tired. Sure, she was always asleep late, but for some reason, she was especially tired. Combine the fact that there was a mortal on Mount Olympus, and that Rainbow's geode was glowing again, it was an eventful day. And night.

"I still think it's strange that she managed to stay alive," Athena pointed out, her mouth full of food. "Or she is dead and it just doesn't look like it."

Hera shot her a look. Athena shrunk in her chair.

"Forget I ever said anything," Athena mumbled.

Artemis knew her struggle. She wasn't Hera's favorite either, and they knew her four favorites: Ares, Hebe, Hephaestus, and the one they didn't want to talk about. It was like they couldn't say anything to keep her on her good side. It was a struggle whenever she had to talk with them, because most of her talks were her wishing they could have been her daughters, because then she'd have a reason to love them.

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Rainbow Dash cringing. She knew their mother despised pretty much everyone else (Who would try and kill their own son?), and it sucked having to watch her own siblings get reprimanded, just because they had a different mom.

That's when her geode started glowing again. Luckily, Hera didn't need to know, since she had gone back to her room to get dressed.

"Why does it keep doing that?" Artemis asked, looking at Athena.

"I don't know," Athena squared her shoulders. Her eyes lit up. "But I know what might!"

She ran off, leaving the confused three behind.

"What is she up to?" Rainbow looked at her sister and father.

Artemis didn't know.

Athena rushed back in with a thick book. She set it down on the crystal floor, carpeted with fluff, and flipped it up to a page, with seven colorful crystals painted on the top. The text read:

The Geodes of Poseidon

When Poseidon first was banished to the seas, he ordered his soldiers to find the most beautiful crystals to make his new crown and staff. Seven of these crystals, though, had powers that no god could control. He went to the Oracle of Athens to try and figure out if he could control them himself. The Oracle recited the famed "Geode Prophecy": Only the Close Seven can control them. Poseidon deemed the geodes useless, and threw them onto the Earth to try and get rid of them, unknowing of where they would land...

"Wait..." Athena flipped through the rest of the chapter. "Got it! It says here that since the geodes have connections to the gods, and they're immortal, they offer immortality to the wearer when death is upon them."