Deadly Passion

No face claims :(
——

"Give me the axe." Griffith spoke to Yvonne, his girlfriend, as he flipped his crossbow to clip onto his backpack.

She moved quickly to place away her RMCS- 4, the heavy multi chamber AR falling quickly against the strap along her neck. Pulling the axe from her harness, she passed it to him before turning to guard their six.

He moved as quietly as possible to get the lock from the supermarket back door. They could tell from the isolated crowd of zombies walking in and out of the front entrance that it hadn't been raided yet.

Griffith managed to get the door opened almost a minute later and the two carefully filed into the room, keeping all eyes out for lingering undead. His broad 6'4, farm muscle build made it difficult to see the path before them but Yvonne knew if there was anything ahead, it'd have to go through him.

Yvonne and Griffith first began dating when they were 14, freshmen in high school. What others deemed a simple crush quickly became a soul tie as the pair remained happily together for the next 12 years. They lived in a simple 2 bedroom apartment when the outbreak hit.

Thankfully, Griffith's father was a veteran who often feared the ending of days. He built his own bunker customized with a tunnel system for tactical access in and out of the space. Although there were plenty of supplies in the bunker, Griffith and Yvonne often travelled outside anyway to scout what they could, while they could.

"It's clear. We're right next to the pharmacy. I'll clear the back isles while you work on the lock." Griffith instructed quietly as they prepared themselves.

"Candy used to work at this one. The last password was 25176, so hopefully we can get in and out." Yvonne had a habit of relaying important details to him while they were out just in case she were to be attacked.

"We can handle this." He spoke to her habit, his years of knowing her making it second nature. The large man pulled her 5'9 body into his chest with a kiss to her temple before turning to open the door.

A silent hand signal let her know he was going to peek before motioning for her to come out. He moved skillfully along the opening, his eyes trained for threats. After walking to the end of the isles and back, he finally allowed her to come out.

Yvonne moved quickly to the large red door before placing the pin in. Although the pad remained silent, the door clicked open and she turned to signal Griffith. A stalking zombie moved silently behind him as he cleared the isles.

It's decaying feet and hanging flesh created a dragging sound that Griffith was instantly keyed into. He turning, his hand following as he swung a large machete into the zombies skull. The sharp blade decapitated the being and it crumpled to his feet.

He flicked the blade, a splatter of thick blood falling to the floor, before returning the blade to its protective position at his side. Yvonne felt her stomach fill with butterflies as he turned his head to wink at her before continuing down the isles.

Ducking inside the pharmacy, Yvonne made a mental note of the exact medication she came for but grabbed what she knew could be useful in the future. Once her bag was full and she found what she needed, she moved to the door.

As she tugged it, the metal knob remained locked in place, despite entering the pin on the pad this side of the door. Panic brewed within her gut as she frantically pulled at the knob while entering the code.