Chapter 4

Tuesday February 3rd 2015

The next day, all the way from the moment I woke up to the moment I got into third period class, I couldn't stop thinking about seeing Chloe.

It's like when you have an old friend that you haven't seen in along time and you're finally reconnecting with them again, and you've made plans, you're just counting down the minutes till you get to give them a hello hug, wether the rest of the night goes well or not doesn't matter in this tangent, only the part when you get to see them again.

As soon as the bell rings, Mrs. Finley walks back and forth a few times, her eyes on her students then she points at me to read my piece.

Chloe smiles. That was the first time I'd seen her smile, it lit up the entire room, no I mean literally man, I think I saw four others start to smile for no reason too.

I ask Mrs. Finley "Do I have to stand up?" Mrs. Finley looks at me with a gentle expression "Only if you'd like."

Well here it goes. I say in my own head.

Before I clear my throat I catch Chloe gazing at me. When I catch her she doesn't look away, I have never seen any girl do that, to keep gazing.

Abruptly she says "Well are you going to read it or not?" Okay so wrong kind of gazing. I completely misinterpreted. I thought it was like a Olly's so cute gaze. Not a when is this clown going to start reading.

I feel the entire class's eyes on me. My heart's beating so fast. And I feel really weird all the sudden. I wish I had put more effort into this.

Mrs. Finley looks at Chloe sharply "How would you feel if you were about to read something that you wrote rooted from the depths of your heart, and someone was rushing you?"

Chloe laughs "I'd feel great Mrs Finley, it's good to give people a push."

Now the attention's on Chloe and I feel a bit more calm. Mrs. Finley looks at Chloe unfazed "Miss Wild if you are going to be a bully in my class, then I will have to kick you out."

Chloe just smiles authentically at Mrs. Finley.

Cora leans into me and whispers "That's weird." I nod to Cora.

Mrs. Finley looks at me "Oleander you can start."

I lightly clear my throat, then start speaking, unsure of what tone to use:

"I remember the white and purple irises blooming that spring.
I remember your hair, and how it fell down your shoulders and back, constantly making me want to softly clutch it in my hand.
I remember your unaffected laughter, that grew my heart ten times bigger then it was.
I remember your eyes, and how when I looked into them, it seemed as though they'd go on forever. 
I remember sitting on a bench in a park and watching you swinging high on the swing.
I remember your glowing skin, like moonlight.
You in my arms, I wish I could keep you there forever.
Diving into the universes of all the books that you loved, with you.
Your stupid jokes. The darkness in your chest. The lullaby of your steps.
I try to forget, that even back then, I knew I would not be able to get this time back."

After I'm done I look at the class, everyone's looking at me with a weird expression. I take a quick glimpse at Chloe, I see that the corners of her mouth are turning up.

Then I look away. What the fuck have I just done? What trash did I just preform? Suddenly Mrs. Finley says "Okay so what do you guys think Mr. Blue was talking about there?"

Cora puts her hand up. Mrs. Finley expression remains blank. "Yes Cora."  Cora seats up in her chair "Well first of all dude, who ever your girlfriend is, damn she's lucky."