Chapter 23

Monday March 29th 2021

I have never seen anybody in more shock then Leon when he picks up the video call, and he sees Chloe say "Hiii Leon."

Cora steals the phone from Leon and screams "I fucking knew it. Ask Leon, I was just telling him that you guys are either at a hotel together, or Chloe's apartment." Chloe laughs "Apartment."

The next hour is spent telling Leon and Cora everything that's happened today. We skip the sex and shower part but Leon keeps making a face at me like he knows me and Chloe did it.

Cora says she already knew that we were meant for each other. And she knew from the first day that I liked liked Chloe. Me and Chloe are honest about how we kissed. Cora shows her sleeping baby to Chloe. Chloe squeals out of joy at Cora's daughter.

Leon asks Chloe when she's coming back home to hangout. Chloe tells them she has to be in London soon. Chloe gives Cora and Leon her current email when they ask how they can reach her.

We're in Chloe's kitchen now. Chloe said she was hungry like ten minutes ago, so I offered to make French Toast.

I'm flipping the three pieces of soaked bread in the oily pan now. Chloe gazes at me. I look over to her and chuckle "What?" She opens her mouth then closes it again. I place the bread in the plate that I have on the side of the stove.

I bring the plate over to her. Then soak the greasy pan and spatula in the sink.

Chloe tucks in her chair, I do the same. She puts her hair behind her ear "You know what I noticed?" I look at her with curiosity evident on my face. "What?"

She takes a bite of her toast, when she swallows she says "You're really hot, I mean I always saw you as a physically beautiful person, but you're like super hot now." I roll my eyes "I thought you were gonna say something important, and I don't see myself that way."

Chloe takes a sip of her milk and grins cutely "I'm sure all the fine ass ladies that come to your signings see you that way."

I roll my eyes again "The only fine ass lady I was looking for at those signings was you." Chloe smiles "I should have came. But wait, so how do you see yourself?" I think about her question hard. "I think I just see myself as a person who's trying to be healthy, trying to be the least miserable I can be, trying to take care of myself."

Chloe tilts her head down, looking at me with a funny dead expression "Wow you're so humble." I shake my head "Okay how do you see yourself?" Chloe does a terrible impression of me "Well you know, I just see myself as a guy who's trying to stay healthy and stay mindful of things. I do Yoga every day. I try to drink Celery Juice at five in the morning."

I laugh loudly "I fucking hate celery juice. And I don't think I'd ever do Yoga." Chloe laughs "I hate Celery Juice too. No but really? how do you see yourself?"

I take a deep breath. "To answer your question totally honestly, I see myself through my future self. I see myself five years from right now, at twenty nine years old and I'm seeing this moment like a movie scene, where I was sitting with you eating French toast in your apartment in Denver. March of the year 2021."

Chloe smiles "See now you're being honest." I say "You're not getting away that easy, how do you see yourself?" Chloe scratches her forehead. "I see myself, from the outside, like even when I'm in a deep conversation with someone, I don't feel one hundred percent present, I feel like I'm watching myself having that conversation."

I raise my eyebrow at Chloe "Seriously?" Chloe swallowes the food in her mouth "Yes. Why? you don't believe me?" I put my arm on the table, and tilt my head into my hand "No it's not that. It's just interesting."