Harry Potter - The 5th Champion

Heroneka walked past the teachers' table. There was a different kind of proud look on the Hogwarts professors' faces. Snape was clapping his hands softly, his lips curled into a small smirk. Hagrid was seated right at the end. He waved at Heroneka, smiling brightly, shaking his head unbelievably and clapping giant hands together.

"Yer shoulda tol' me abou' it!" He beamed at her. "I almos' tol' yer abou' the tasks!" He chuckled nervously recalling their meeting that day.

She could hear Professor McGonagall cheering, Moody growling. Heroneka went through the door out of the Great Hall and found herself in a smaller room, lined with paintings of witches and wizards. A handsome fire was roaring in the fireplace opposite her. As the door swung shut behind her, the loud cheering in the Great Hall was muffled 

The faces in the portraits turned to look at her as he entered. She saw a wizened witch flit out of the frame of her picture and into the one next to it, which contained a wizard with a walrus moustache The wizened witch started whispering in his ear.

Viktor Krum, Cedric Diggory, and Fleur Delacour were grouped around the fire. They looked strangely impressive, silhouetted against the flames. Krum, hunched-up and brooding, was leaning against the mantelpiece, slightly apart from the other two. Cedric was standing with his hands behind his back, staring into the fire. Fleur Delacour stood right next to Cedric. All three of them looked at Heroneka as she entered.

"I knew it!!" Cedric darted up to her, threw his arms around her and embraced Heroneka strongly. "I knew you would be the wild card champion!!"

If the circumstances would have been different, Heroneka would have found Cedric's hug inappropriate. But she knew how excited he must be, seeing another fellow champion from Hogwarts who would increase their chances of winning.

"Oh!!" He went on. "They were cheering so loud. We could hear it from in here."

Suddenly, Viktor Krum stepped forward and nodded at her again, without a smile, and offered a handshake. Heroneka smiled softly, shaking his hand, which felt like a very strong grip.

"Wee weel see!!" Fleur said pointedly. "Wee-" she glanced at Viktor and Cedric, "-- are zee real champions! Yuuu? An unzerrage wild card champion!"

"Oh, I wouldn't underestimate Heroneka like that!" Cedric said quietly, staring down at her. "I have seen her magic up close!"

Heroneka knew he was talking about the incident that had happened the previous year. Heroneka had used her shield during a Quidditch match (Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff) when Harry had been attacked by the Dementors. Her right hand had turned black during then and had never gone back to normal.

Cedric's presence was making Heroneka feel stronger. She looked down at her blackened burnt hand and then back at Cedric, who was smiling encouragingly at her.

Suddenly, Fleur Delacour looked around at the entrance of the small room and threw back her sheet of long, silvery hair.

"What is it?" she said. "Do zey want us back in ze Hall?"

Heroneka, Cedric and Viktor looked at the entrance as well. Harry! Harry Potter was standing there watching them, frozen, shocked and looking lost.

"Harry?" Heroneka turned herself around. Viktor and Cedric stood next to her, watching Harry. "What is it?" She said.

Harry didn't say a word. He simply watched them, looking petrified.

There was a sound of scurrying feet behind him, and Ludo Bagman entered the room. He took Harry by the arm and led him forward.

Cedric pulled Heroneka back towards the mantelpiece. Viktor and Fleur shifted further back as well.

"Extraordinary!" Bagman muttered, squeezing Harry's arm. "Absolutely extraordinary! Gentlemen...ladies," he added, approaching the fireside and addressing the other four. "May I introduce - incredible though it may seem - the fifth Triwizard champion?"