The Yule Ball - Over The Lake

Draco held her blackened right in his and kissed the top of it, pulling her into a tight hug. This was the happiest Heroneka had felt so far. Something that seemed impossible a few hours ago was happening. They were together at the Yule Ball.

"Can we walk away from here?" Draco whispered in his ear, still hugging her close to him. "I want to spend some alone time with you, babe."

Heroneka pulled away, looking into his eyes. "Let's go outside." He kissed him quickly on his lips and Draco grinned happily at her.

They walked out the front doors and the fluttering fairy lights in the rose garden winked and twinkled as they went down the front steps, where they found themselves surrounded by bushes; winding, ornamental paths; and large stone statues.

Draco kept holding her hand, more confidently than ever. It made her feel loved and safe.

Heroneka could hear splashing water, which sounded like a fountain. Here and there, people were sitting on carved benches. But nobody was paying any attention to them, as they were busy talking to their partners. Heroneka and Draco set off along one of the winding paths through the rosebushes, but they had gone only a short way when they heard a familiar voice.

"...don't see what there is to fuss about, Igor."

Draco looked at Heroneka and they froze. It was Snape. Draco put a finger on his lips, eyeing her to stay quiet and stealthy.

"Severus, you cannot pretend this isn't happening!" Karkaroffs voice sounded anxious and hushed, as though keen not to be overheard. "It's been getting clearer and clearer for months. I am becoming seriously concerned, I can't deny it -"

"Then flee," said Snape's voice curtly. "Flee - I will make your excuses. I, however, am remaining at Hogwarts."

Heroneka snapped her fingers and her invisibility bubble shield erupted around her and Draco as Snape and Karkaroff came around the corner. The couple stepped aside quickly, trying to clear the path for Snape and Karkaroff, still remaining invisible.

Snape had his wand out and was blasting rosebushes apart, his expression most ill-natured. Squeals issued from many of the bushes, and dark shapes emerged from them.

"Ten points from Ravenclaw, Fawcett!" Snape snarled as a girl ran past him. "And ten points from Hufflepuff too, Stebbins!" as a boy went rushing after her.

Suddenly Snape looked right at Heroneka and Draco. They looked around at the invisibility bubble shield, which was still active.

"And what are you two doing?" he added, staring at them.

Suddenly, Draco nudged Heroneka and looked on the other end of the path from where they had just walked in. Harry and Ron were standing there. Snape was talking to them. Karkaroff looked slightly discomposed to see the two boys standing there. His hand went nervously to his goatee, and he began winding it around his finger.

"We're walking," Ron told Snape shortly. "Not against the law, is it?"

Draco shifted further back towards the bushes, urging Heroneka as well so that Harry, Ron, Snape and Karkaroff could walk past each other without realising that they were there.

"Keep walking, then!" Snape snarled, and he brushed past them, his long black cloak billowing out behind him. Karkaroff hurried away after Snape. Harry and Ron continued down the path.

Draco and Heroneka still stood there, in the bushes with the shield around them. They were waiting for Harry and Ron to leave.

"What's got Karkaroff all worried?" Ron muttered.