ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟠

"Dude this literally makes no sense."

JJ flicked his pencil to the side and crumbled up the scrap piece of paper he had been scribbling on. He had never been especially enthused regarding anything involving school.  He couldn't stand being locked up in a classroom all day, forced to repeatedly fail assignments because he needed help even though no one was willing to teach him. The only good part about school was the social aspect. JJ thought of himself as an extrovert and truly thrived when surrounded by people.  Kildare County Highschool had plenty of people.  Most of them were working-class citizens from the cut, including JJ and his friend John B.

"I don't get it either," John B sat back in his chair and put his hands on the top of his head.

JJ got to his feet, cramming notebooks and pens into his backpack before slinging it over his shoulder.  "Why does each Spanish verb have like four other versions of it?" John B just shrugged.  JJ started for the door and lead the way out of the library, "there should be one way to say 'have,' not five!  It makes no sense."

John B followed after his friend, ignoring his blabbering "man, we're gonna fail Spanish and have to take it again next year."

"I told you, we don't need studying." JJ tapped his index finger on his temple, "not when you're just naturally gifted like me."

"You're not naturally gifted," John B zipped up his backpack and followed JJ out of the library. "You're just good at bullshitting your way out of things."

"I'd say that the ability to 'bullshit' is a pretty natural gift."

John B walked on JJs right as they made their way down the sidewalk towards home. They were currently on and off living together- On and off because of the few nights that JJ would spend at his own house with his dad.  "Okay, well- I can't bullshit half as well as you can. I'm screwed."

JJ pulled out his Juul from his pocket and took a hit, "it's okay, you can just cheat off me."

"No JJ, I'm serious.  There's no way I'm taking Spanish over again next year. I need a real solution."

"Well we know what doesn't work," JJ held out his hand and began to count the list of non-solutions on his fingers, "can't bullshit, can't study, can't cheat..."

John B scratched his neck thoughtfully, "that leaves me with the option of either getting someone to take the test for me or getting someone to tutor me."

"Or you could shit your pants in the middle of class and ask to be excused from the test."

"Shut up JJ," John B pulled his cap over his head tighter.  "Guess I'll just have to find a tutor."

"All the smart kids are weirdos bro. I don't want any part of it."

"I bet Alex Ferrera would tutor me."

JJ took another rip from his Juul, "your best choice is either him or that other nerd Pope."

"Hey, Pope is actually pretty nice." From what JJ had seen of his fellow freshman Pope, he had determined he was a shy kid whose parents pushed him hard. He also knew he was very smart. Number 1 spot at Kildare County Highschool.  Though that wasn't saying much.  It wasn't like the school was full of geniuses. "I'll take him over Alex any day," John B stated as he fumbled the keys to the Chateau at the doorstep. John B unlocked the door and stepped in setting his bag down on the floor while JJ headed straight for the kitchen to make himself a peanut butter sandwich.  "You sleeping here tonight?"

JJ unbagged a couple slices of bread and began to slather them with half the jar of peanut butter "yeah. That girl Lacey also might come over for a little bit later tonight."

John B stared at JJ, "dude- you're still hooking up with her? I thought she said she was tired of you continuing to lead her on."

"I'm not leading her on," JJ put up his hands defensively. "I told her straight out that it's hot boy summer." He paused to take a mouthful of sandwich. "That means I can hook up or hangout with any one I want, any time I want- for the whole summer!" He took another bite from his sandwhich, the previous mouthful stick tucked away in his cheeks, "sure as hell not gonna be tied to Lacey-."

"Stop mumbling to yourself already.  And it's not even summer anymore. We're nearly done with our first semester at school.  What time is she coming at?"

"I don't know yet, probably midnight-ish."

"Yall better keep it down." John B charlie horsed JJ, "or you're sleeping on the lawn tomorrow."

"Ow," JJ rubbed the sore spot where John B hit him. "You know, just because it's not summer anymore; that doesn't mean that you have to be so serious all the time."

John B stood a little straighter, "actually JJ-it does.  I still have to help my dad pay off the mortgage and get a job- and I can't speak Spanish."

JJ looked down at his feet, feeling ashamed for disregarding John B's situation regarding his father and his house. He had never seen much of John B's father, even despite being friends with him for so long.  It was because John B's dad was always working- slaving away in his office researching who knows what.  On the few occasions where he had spent time with John B's father, he came across as a nice man but it didn't really seem like he paid a whole lot of attention to John B. "Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I know you have to work hard."

John B grabbed a piece of bread and started to make himself a sandwich too. "I know JJ, don't worry about it." He slapped another piece of bread on top of the peanut butter-covered one, "heard the swells gonna be good later, wanna go shred?"

JJ glanced over at his surfboard and then back to John B "Only if you do my laundry."