ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙𝟡

December 12th. Nearly two weeks had passed and still, Kiara had not worked up the courage to ask Sarah to officially be her girlfriend. Regardless, Kie appreciated being able to spend the Holiday season with Sarah. The two had basically done every Christmas activity there was to do together: wrap presents, bake gingerbread men, ice skate, etc.

"What about Elf?"

"I swear if I watch Elf one more time I'm gonna lose it," Kiara growled through gritted teeth.

"Oh come on, where's your holiday spirit?"

"Up your ass."

"Would you rather watch the grinch? That seems more up your ally today."

"To be honest I'd rather just watch impractical jokers," Kiara slouched.  Lately, she had been in a ratty mood due to the issue that was their undefined relationship status.

Sarah had caught onto her crabby-ness from the moment it began; anytime she asked Kiara 'what was wrong,' her question was either avoided or immediately shut down. She was simply waiting for Kiara to come forward on her own and communicate. "Your wish is my command," she flipped through the television's cable channels until she came across Impractical Jokers. Sarah plopped back down on the couch next to Kiara and wrapped an arm around her.  Taking that as a sign to lean in, Kiara scooted closer so that her side was pressed up tight against Sarah's as she rested her head on her breast. The two chuckled together gently as they watched Joe shout from a wide-open stall door with a square of Charmin Ultra Strong clutched in an outstretched hand 'can anyone help me please? please. This is the last piece of toilet paper!'  Sarah rubbed her hand along Kiara's side, "okay, this is better than Elf."

Kiara grinned cockily, "I know."

Sarah smiled back down gently, taking the time to carefully tuck a stray strand of hair behind Kiara's ear. "Hey Kiara?"

Kiara glanced up, her cheek still resting on Sarah's rising and falling chest, "mhm?"

Just because she was waiting for Kiara to come forward on her own and communicate didn't mean she couldn't encourage Kiara to do it herself, "you know you can ask me anything right?"

"Really? Okay- kiss marry kill Impractical Jokers version:"

Sarah clicked her tongue, "tch. That's not what I meant." She paused, "but kiss Sal, marry Murray, and kill Q." She raised her eyebrows as she ran her fingers through Kiara's long wavy brown hair, "I was being serious though.  You can ask or tell me anything."

The mischievous smile on Kiara's face was replaced with a look of seriousness and uncertainty. "Can I ask you a genuine question right now?"  Sarah nodded and Kiara sat up across from Sarah so that they faced each other. Biting the inside of her cheek she locked eyes with Sarah, "what are we?"

Sarah shifted, a bit taken aback by the question, "what do you mean?"

"Don't 'what do you mean-'" Kiara started to huff. "I mean what is this.  What is this thing between us? What are we?"

"You mean like you want a label?"

"I don't want a label-" Kiara clapped her hands on her thighs and looked around in dismay.  "I just don't want to be left wondering what I am to you,"

"What you are to me," Sarah questioned.

"Yes what I am to you. Am I just another one of your little games that you like to play or..."

"You are not just some game to me Kei-" Sarah scoffed.

"I've seen the way you flirt with other people," Kiara interjected.  Before Sarah could jump to argue Kiara continued, words spewing out like vomit as they tended to do when she lost composure, "look, it's been fun these past months, but I don't think I can keep doing this with you if I'm not as important to you as you are to me.  If you want to be with Topper or someone else that's fine, but I can't be your second or even third! choice. It's too-"

Sarah shook her head, "just stop." Reassuringly she laid her hand on top of Kiara's, "you're my first choice. I'm sorry if I gave you any other impression besides that."

Kiara leaned in and hugged Sarah before pulling apart for a sweet kiss, "Sarah?"

"Mhm?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Of course."

Kiara smiled into Sarah's lips and threw her arms around her neck.  As Sarah smothered her in kisses she felt herself growing hotter.  Soft fingertips ran along the hem of Sarah's shirt, threatening to lift it.

Ring Ring.

Ring Ring.

Sarah's phone vibrated on the coffee table next to the couch.  The second time it rung the girls could no longer ignore it. "Do you wanna check that," Kiara said shakily as she broke away from a hot kiss.

Sarah sat up and reached for her phone, "yeah, sorry." She picked it up and brought it to her ear, "hello?" Kiara watched as Sarah's face slackened. "What," Sarah asked out loud in disbelief.

Kiara placed a worried hand on Sarah's arm, "what is it?"

"My mom's dead."