Chapter 6 - A Sorry

The night sky was dark in the beginning and as time went on, the stars provided the light. Sitting on the balcony at 1am would be questionable to others, but to him this was part of his routine. Way below him was the busy city. The sounds of cars honking and people laughing were the typical things to be heard. Knowing him, he was listening to music to avoid the noise. Tonight consisted of instrumental songs and it was his own little paradise until a certain AI interrupted his song saying he had an incoming Facetime. He could have ignored it, but it would a hundred percent lead to a lecture the next day at school. With that in mind, he picked up his phone from his lap and pressed accept.

His eyes were blinded by the brightness coming from the other end.

"Orn, the lighting" Saint looked down to try and adjust his eyes but ended up squinting when looking back at the phone.

"Sorry, I forgot..." She moved to turn off one of the two lamps near her before sitting back down.

"It's okay, but let me move inside and switch you to the laptop. My phone is at 20%"

Orn watched as Saint got up from where he was sitting and slid open the balcony door. When he entered the living room, it became clear to her that he was not at his regular apartment. She sat at her desk, staring at her own laptop waiting for Saint to become situated with everything before speaking.

"You're staying there tonight?" she asked with one eyebrow raised.

"Uh yeah, I didn't feel like heading back to the apartment after the party. Plus it has a better view of everything from here."

"I bet it does. It's been awhile since we all hung out there...but I wanted to say sorry."

"Sorry?"

"About my mom, she means well but you know her...."

Instead of looking at his laptop, Saint focused his eyes on a picture that sat on the piano. Three children were sitting on a couch while the two grown ups stood behind them. Both boys wore black dress pants, black dress shoes, a white button up with suspenders and cute little grey hats. The only girl who was in the middle wore a puffy white dress that was easily bigger than her. It was tulle that made up all of the bottom half of it. The cameraman that day countlessly fixed it when it got in the way. The smiles gave away how happy the moment was for everyone.

If he was closer to the photo, he would be able to see the two youngest kids holding hands in the tulle.

It was a picture he had at this place and his normal apartment. He cherished those moments...even if it wasn't with his actual family.

Saint brought his attention back to the person on the other end of the facetime. He told her it was okay. In all their years of friendship he knew exactly how her mom was. She loved Saint with all her heart and viewed him as her own. She was head over heels when they told her that they started to date. She was their biggest supporter and rooted them on. Of course it was devastating to her when the duo broke up only a year into dating but understood the pressure they faced from the elders in the families. She still shows off Saint at parties, but then it leads to the questions of why her daughter and him aren't together or comments that they would make a good couple.

After talking more about the party and gossiping to one another, Orn said goodnight to Saint at almost 2am and ended their facetime. She sat back in her chair when a knock was heard. As she looked over to her bedroom door she saw her brother leaning against the door frame.

"Talking to N'Saint?"

"Mmhm. Someone had to apologize for mom." Orn got up and moved herself to her bed. This caused Mild to walk in and sit at the edge of it, taking one of her decorative pillows and hugging it by his stomach. Earlier he left his room to get a glass of water when he heard Orn and Saint talking. It wouldn't be the first time they chatted late at night but usually another one of their friends was there as well.