Chapter 10 - Family

The mixture of orange and pink in the sky from the sun setting brought some type of peace to Saint as he looked out the car window. Being stuck in traffic left the two in the front seats agitated at each other and him in the back minding his own business. He offered a route that would avoid the 6pm traffic when they were riding the elevator down at his apartment complex but both declined it saying it would add more time instead of less. Now being in the same spot for nearly fifteen minutes, they regretted not taking Saint's route and started to blame each other.

He looked away from the window to unlock his phone. What better way to pass the time than to play a game. In the middle of his candy crush level, a reminder notification popped up at the top of his screen saying - Dinner w/ friends (7:30pm @ SEEN). Saint leaned his head on the headrest and closed his eyes. He wondered if he could actually make it to these dinner plans or should he just cancel? His friends would understand if he told them where he was heading but then more questions would come out of it.

Once the car started to move again, he picked the latter and texted Opp that he would not be able to make it tonight. Also if they still wanted to go without him, it would be okay but Opp messaged back that they'll just reschedule for another day and that he will tell the others.

After forty-five minutes of bickering and completing seven levels of candy crush, they all arrived at the destination. He was surprised to see that the gates leading to the driveway/ parking were open already. He can't be happy that we are this late.

Saint walked behind the two men as they entered the house and went to the living room. He would have liked to stay behind them but they parted to let him become visible and stood by the entrance of the room. When looking around, there was no one to be in sight.

"Is this what I have to do now?" his grandfather asked as he entered the room from the other side. "Send my workers to fetch you since you choose not to answer the phone?" he continued with a harsher tone.

Saint only let his head hang low, not looking at him.

"Speak when you are spoken to Saint"

"No... I apologize" he said, still looking at the ground. He heard another pair of steps coming into the room and when he glanced to his side, he saw his very much shorter grandmother standing next to him.

"Don't be too harsh on him. Everyone deserves some freedom with their lives." She patted his back before sitting on the couch with her tea and pointing at the chair he could sit in.

"And he had all the freedom he wanted when he was aboard. If I remember correctly, he is the one who decided to come home." Since when has this been a home to me...

"Regardless of that and you avoiding all my messages and calls, school will always be a priority to you but now work is too. You gave your presentation two months ago and ever since then you've left other workers to deal with the rest."

"I trust P'Mew with whatever I give him" Saint stated, now looking at his grandfather

"N'Mew isn't the future CEO of our company. How do you think it looks to others that you've only visited the main building and offices three times since being back. How bad does that make me look?"

And there it is. The question he heard often as a child and teenager. Any misbehaviors Saint did would be followed by it. A constant reminder that he can't escape who his family is.

"Starting now, you will be coming to the office more. Even if I have to send N'Mew to get you after classes." Saint looked over his shoulder to where Mew and the other worker were still standing. He gave Saint a half smile.