Chapter Four Routine

A routine began to settle in for the rest of the first week of school. I would wake up, get ready for the day, eat my breakfast and wait to hear the honk of Jonathan’s horn, though I usually heard the diesel engine before that.

Anthony was still ignoring me. I couldn’t understand why he was so upset still with me. I felt guilty because I was having him keep a secret that he didn’t want to keep in the first place, although he had a secret of his own.

To make me angrier he would talk enthusiastically with Monique at lunch all the time. I got used to it and tried to mask the hurt. Jon would see right through me though.

School went on so far without much more incident the rest of the week. P.E. was pleasant as Jon and I hung out the most in that class when we could. In Astronomy we took notes and discussed times when we would be able to go out with his telescope.

I did my homework at the last minute each night after I got home from the group home and inner. We couldn’t work much more outside of school on the project until my grounding was done but it wasn’t a problem with having a whole semester to work on it.

Luckily my dad did not make me cook anymore this week for the guys. I cleaned up the classroom fairly often and filed in his office. I found time to sneak away and make out with Levi who always left me hot and bothered and my lips swollen.

We talked a little about what we were doing. Now I wasn’t looking to have a relationship with him, at least not while he was in the group home. He subtly would get friskier in our private time together and I would have to shoot him down. He complained but would comply. I was certainly not going there in a hidden corner of my father’s business.

Then either my mom or Jon would pick me up and take me home. Jon always seemed pissed off when he had to pick me up from the group home and not because he had to drive me home, so I asked on Friday.

He told me he didn’t like how the guys looked at me. I laughed and that seemed to anger him more. I told him to relax and that I stayed away from the guys…for the most part.

Dinner, homework, and helped my grandfather to bed having little chats with him spending time with my grandpa before I went to bed and started the whole routine over again the next day.

So when my alarm wasn’t what woke me early on Saturday morning I thought I had forgotten to set it. I cursed myself for waking up so early on the first weekend and whatever had woke me up which was the sound of my window being knocked on. It was rare anyone had the nerve to sneak into my room period let alone early in the morning. Everyone was intimidated by my father.

I was even more shocked to see that it was Anthony. In my pajamas I shuffled over to the window and opened it cautiously.

“What the hell are you doing here?” a yawn broke out as I spoke, “And so early,”

“We need to talk…move,” he grumbled mostly because of how he was precariously hanging in the old willow tree. My room was my mother’s old bedroom and that willow has been there for as long as I can remember.

I moved out of the way as he climbed in tripping on the window sill and landing on the seat a little noisily. So clumsy, and he wasn’t even drinking at least I would hope not this early.

“Be quiet,” I hissed. I heard a door open in the hallway and footsteps shuffle down the hall.

Tony shut my window and followed me as I sat down on my bed and folded my arms over my chest waiting for him to speak.

He sighed, “I heard your dad doesn’t want you to hang out with me anymore,”

I raised an eyebrow he must have told Aunt Lily. At the same time I didn’t want to say too much because my dad had let it be known there was something else going with Tony and he would have mentioned it with his statement if his mom said that was why my dad wanted me to distance myself from him.