Chapter Ten Something Old for Something New

“Are you sure you guys will be okay?” my mom asked looking out the kitchen window. She was looking up at the clouds that were moving through quickly and about fifty shades grey threatening the rain that burdened them.

“Yeah mom if it starts raining we will just come back here and work on the deck,” I rolled my eyes as I stood at the kitchen sink doing dishes. My mom has been amused with dad’s punishment as I have been doing all the chores she usually does.

“Monday I go back up to Medford so you will need to help with Greg some more,”

“I know I don’t mind you know that,” I turned off the water finishing my chore and dried my hands off. I loved my grandpa so I never complained about helping out with him. Plus he tells me all the stories about my parents which I figured out the chore discipline thing was something he did to my mom and dad.

It was quite gloomy looking outside on this Saturday afternoon. Lunch had just been finished and I was cleaning up. Grandpa was in the living room watching hockey my dad was at work and my mom and me were having some girl time.

All the while thoughts of Jon played in my head and worry about how I was going to tell him that my feelings for him were turning romantic. Whenever I thought of how he holds me or smiles at me those warm tight fuzzy clenching in my stomach happened and I felt at peace.

The risk over our friendship bothered me but I knew if it was meant to be no matter what happens we would always be friends. I should have realized this sooner.

“So what are you and Jon looking for tonight?” my mom turned back to me and sat down at the table with her coffee giving me a warm smile.

“Aquarius, Pegasus, Andromeda, they are the main ones a few others, I draw the diagrams,”

“No surprise there you always were good with art,”

I shrugged. I did have a knack for drawing, some painting. I was good with lines and abstract concepts. I had taken all my art classes early and excelled in them even have a small portfolio. I just didn’t feel like I go do something or go anywhere with my art.

“I could have Shawn look at your portfolio see if you could do an internship for book covers at the company over the summer,”

“No don’t do that mom,” I blurted out scrunching up my noise.

“I’m only mentioning it because college applications are starting to come in and you should look at the some Tony and Jon have already…,”

“I don’t care what Tony and Jon have already done, I’ll do it when I feel like it,” I interrupted her not wanting to hear this anymore or all the fancy schools Jon and Tony have applied to. They were both going to go away to college and I will still be stuck here wondering what I want to do. The art thing was appealing I just didn’t know what I would want to do with it.

“Fine but you will start applying soon,” my mom said softly but with finality in her tone, all I could do was sigh. There was no getting out of that one. I left the kitchen not wanting to talk anymore and sat down with grandpa on the couch.

“Dawn pestering you about college?”

I snorted and nodded.

“She means well,” my grandpa said, I noticed how raspy his voice was and how he coughed when he nudged my arm playfully.

“You need anything?” I asked but he just shook his head no as he wrangled in the cough adjusting his nosepiece for the oxygen. He was looking paler and flushed at the same time if that was possible.

“You sure you’re feeling okay?” I asked concern lacing my voice.

“I’m fine little one, come, tell me how the hockey game works again,” he winked smiling at me. I smiled back and sat back against the couch leaning against his shoulder.