Chapter 2

'She should be proud' Lena thought as she smiles at Kara's childish antics. "Thank you for the compliment. Would you like to grab dinner tonight?"

Kara smiles a thousand megawatt Danvers smile, and nods enthusiastically. "I would love to. Yes, finally got myself a second friend!" She blurts out without any filter and is immediately being shushed by nearby people in the library.

She mumbles a sorry and flashes an apologetic look to the people who just shushed her. Lena again smiles at Kara's childish excitement at dinner and goes back to her books.

At 5.50pm Lena starts packing up her books since the library closes at 6pm. Kara notices Lena packing and quickly does the same with her things splayed out messily on the table.

"Ready for dinner?" Lena asks with a raised eyebrow and Kara nods enthusiastically. They walk out of the library and Kara asks excitedly "Can we have Chinese? Or pizza? Or Thai? Or Italian? Or burger? Omg. I'm so hungry!"

Lena cocks her head to one side and looks at Kara like she's grown a third head and thought 'How can someone be so excited about food?' Kara realises she may have been too excited to be human and adjusts her glasses and says more calmly "I'm sorry. That was me being weird. What would you like to have, Lena?"

"Italian food is good for me if you are okay with it. I know a spot nearby here and we could walk to the restaurant"

"Sure. Lead the way Miss Genius" Kara teases to lighten the mood.

They walk in silence but it isn't too awkward. It just feels comfortable enough for them and a good break to rest their mind after cramming their brain with books for the last few hours.

They reached a restaurant called 'Italianese' and Lena walks in with Kara trailing behind. Lena leads them to a table at the corner of the restaurant as though she's been here a million times and the waitress brought menus and a glass for water for each of them. Kara has never been to this reataurant since she doesn't have many friends to eat out with her and Eliza normally cooks dinner or they will have dinner at the Chinese place that Kara likes so much.

Kara flips the menu and realises the menu is in Italian and she whispers to Lena who's across the table, "I can't read the menu. I don't read Italian. Do they have an English menu here? Or can you just order a plate of pasta and a large pizza for me?"

"Sure. Any preference for the pizza and pasta?"

"Anything without kale is fine"

As if on cue, the waitress brings a basket of warm bread and takes their order. Lena orders a grill chicken salad for herself, shrimp pasta and a meat mania pizza for Kara.

As the waitress leaves their table with the menu, Kara asks with a confused look "Is this bread for us? You didn't order this, did you? There's no way you could have ordered without me realising"

"It is complimentary. Most authentic Italian restaurants will provide it free of charge to their customers" She explains.

"Free?! Wow. That's so nice." Kara digs in immediately and hums "This is really nice. I wished they gave us more."

"You can always ask for more if you want. They will refill it" Lena reaches out to grab a slice of the bread in the basket.