Chapter 11

Kara's brain is processing. Finally drawing all the conclusions together.
Lena is not dating Sam.
Lena is not dating Ruby.
Ruby is Sam's daughter.
Kara is a fool.

Sam decides to put Kara out of her misery and explains knowing that Lena will never tell her story to anyone because she respects Sam's privacy too much. "I met Lena in boarding school. I am four years older than her which makes me 20 this year. I saw a bunch of kid picking on her when she first came at to boarding school at 9 years old and stepped in to yell at them. I took Lena under my wing and we became inseparable. I got pregnant with Ruby when I was 16 and my mother cut me off and disowned me. I had no money to continue my education but Lena was in an elite student at our boarding school. That means she is rich enough to have her own complete living space and her driver lives nearby our boarding school. She let me stay with her since other students were harassing me due to my pregnancy, she took out her savings and put aside monthly allowances to help me get through boarding school. Her driver picked me up and drove me to hospitals for check up and Lena was there for me when Ruby was born. Lena was only 13 but she was the second person besides medical personnel to have held Ruby in her arms. I returned to the states to work part time while raising Ruby on my own while Lena stayed in boarding school. We kept in touch and when Lena returned to the states after her graduation, she asked me to move in with her to save up on rent in Metropolis. When she was moving to a college in Midvale, I moved along with her and applied for some courses in St Prince as well. So while Lena is the youngest in the college, I'm probably a little slightly older than the average first year college student." Sam smiles indicating that's the end of her story.

Lena reaches out to grab Sam's hand and give it a reassuring squeeze. Sam looks at Lena and returns a thankful smile while wiping tears away from her eyes.

Kara looks at the two women and admires that they both gone through so much together. "Thank you for sharing that with me Sam. It's beautiful how brave and amazing you are as an individual and as a mother"

Young Ruby is a little confused at this point as to what is happening and asks the only question that matters to her "Mom, Aunt Lena, can I pick the movie tonight?"

"Sure little monkey. You can pick the movie tonight." Lena answers the toddler.

"Frozen!!" She shouts excitedly. Kara sees Sam and Lena smacks their face into their palm. They have probably seen this a million times with Ruby.

"I love Frozen! Ruby, do you want to build a snowman?" Kara shares the excitement with Ruby and even sings the phrase out. Ruby is so excited for someone to sing along with her that she runs and jumps into Kara's arms without warning. Kara catches the young girl and hugs her close.

Lena sets up the movie while Sam puts the wine in the fridge. Lena takes out a tablet and start ordering dinner from a nearby restaurant. She orders a salad for herself and hands the tablet to Sam. Sam orders Japanese bento box for herself and a kids bento for Ruby and passes the tablet to Kara. Kara places the same order as Sam and an additional sushi roll. Lena does a final check on the order and adds 3 orders of gyoza and additional two sushi roll for Kara.

Around 30 minutes later, Lena's phone rang and the lift dings n open a few minutes later. The young man from the lobby stood in the lift waiting for someone to collect the food from him. Lena walks over hand hands him two pieces of 20, mentioning one for him and one for the delivery person from the restaurant.

Lena puts all the food on the coffee table and puts a small stool for Ruby to eat at the coffee table in front of the TV. Sam grabs a glass of wine for herself a a glass of scotch for Lena. Kara and a Ruby are satisfied with a glass of plain water. Lena gives Kara a shrug when Kara notices the amount of food and whispers "eat up, darling" which Kara can hear perfectly with her super hearing. Kara remembers to text Alex and Eliza about not hearing home for dinner this time.

They starts on their own dinner with Lena and Sam talking in low voices to each other while Kara and Ruby are entirely engross in the movie. Kara sings along with Ruby in certain scenes with dramatic flair and the young girl has sat closer and closer to Kara by the end of the movie. She is cuddled up to Kara by the end of it.

Once the end credit rolls, Sam and Lena's attention snaps back to the TV pretending that they have paid full attention to the movie. Ruby rubs her eyes and yawns and the clock indicates it's 8pm.

"Okay honey. Go wash up and head to bed Ruby. Remember to brush." Sam directs

"Okay mommy" Ruby walks to the bathroom and heads to her bedroom. The three ladies sits on the couch sipping their respective drinks.

"Mommyyyyyy" comes Ruby's screams from the room. Kara is a little shocked at the shout but Lena and Sam continues sipping their alcohol. After a couple of seconds of Kara staring at the both of them, Sam puts her wine glass down and walks towards the room. Kara is left with Lena to continue their small talk and Lena teases endlessly about how Kara enjoyed Frozen way too much for a 17 year old.

Lena puts down the glass and guides Kara towards Ruby's room. Kara observes Sam reading a bedtime story and then ends with a kiss on Ruby's forehead.
"Good night Ruby. I love you"
"Good night mommy. I love you too"

Lena walks towards Ruby and repeats the action of kissing Ruby's forehead.
"Good night little monkey. I love you"
"Good night aunt Lena. I love you too."

Kara leans against the door frame and smiles at the loving chosen family she sees in front of her. She suddenly notices three pairs of eyes looking expectantly at her.

She moves away and makes space for Kara to kiss the young girl good night.
"Good night Ruby. Sweet dreams"
"Good night aunt Kara. I love you too".
The three ladies chuckles at the young girl's response and slowly retreats from the room.

It was as though the young girl had a preset standard good night wish 'Good night, *insert name*. I love you too'