Chapter 13

When the library closes on Saturday, Lena drives Kara to Danvers household for dinner as agreed. Lena is worried that she might sweat through her white blouse due to her nerves. She makes a quick stop at the florist and wine shop to not show up empty handed at Danvers household.

Kara is buzzing with excitement for Lena to meet her family. Lena's black sleek sports car looks out of place in front of Kara's house. Kara walks over to the driver side and holds Lena's hand in the right hand and the wine in her left hand. Lena is literally being dragged by Kara to the front door and figures she has enough Luthor training to get through an awkward dinner. It's just like any Luthor Corp event after all.

"Eliza, Lena is here!" Kara shouts as soon as she enters the door. Lena walks in and puts on her best poker face and charming smile and greets a kind looking lady in the kitchen. "Hello Mrs Danvers. These are for you. Handing over the bouquet of flowers."

The blonde lady walks around the kitchen counter and takes the flowers from Lena and puts it on the counter. "Thank you Lena. These are beautiful. Please call me Eliza." Wrapping Lena in a warm embrace welcoming her into their home. Lena stiffens and is unable to respond before Eliza let's her go. Kara passes the wine to Eliza as well and she thanks Lena again for the gift.

Kara and Lena settle on the couch while Eliza continues preparing dinner. Taking in the interior of the house, there are some family photos hung on the wall, the furnishing looks well maintained, everything seems to be in order and in place. It is not like Lena's modern penthouse but it does feel very homey and warm.

"Holy shittttt. Did you guys see the car out front?!? Somebody must have gotten lost here" Alex says as she walks in the door.

"Hi Alex. Meet Lena. Lena, meet my sister Alex Danvers".

They both settled on a formal respectful handshake and then takes a seat at the couch.

"That's Lena's car by the way" Kara breaking the silence

The sound of Alex's jaw hitting the floor is almost audible.

"Oh... So that's how I look when you picked my jaw up the other day." Lena smiles at Kara's words.

"I'm sorry. What do you do again? I wasn't aware that Kara has a rich friend." the question is directed Lena.

"I'm a college student at St Prince." Keeping the answer short.

"That's the fancy car I told you about that I could not name" Kara further explains to Alex that this should now be news to her.

"Kara, that's a Maserati." Disbelief that her sister could not recognise a well known brand of sports car. Kara just smiles and shrugs. Alex goes into an entire conversation with Kara on the different models and what each model could do, the other two younger ladies not processing a single word Alex is saying.

When they settle down for dinner, Lena is amazed by the tenderness of the brisket and compliments Eliza for the meal. Conversation settled easily, never once did the Danvers bring up Luthor Corp nor give Lena any discomfort for being wealthier than average.

"Kara. Shouldn't you leave some for Mr Danvers?" Noticing Kara is clearing up almost everything left of the table.

"Oh no. Jeremiah is away for a medical convention and research. He hasn't been back for almost 2 years now. He should be back for Christmas this year. Lena, please feel free to have more." Eliza explains.

Alex looks at Kara with wide eyes. Lena looks at Kara with judgemental eyes.
Kara looks away with guilty eyes. And Eliza just looks confused as to what is happening.

Lena's jaw twitches and then she breaks into a smile is so genuine that everyone who doesn't know it might be fooled by it. Lena carries the conversation with Eliza whereas the two sisters remain quiet for the rest of the meal.

Lena excuses herself for the night after helping to clean up and bid the family good night. Barely containing the anger seething in her of being lied to, she storms out to her car.

Kara runs after her knowing that Lena is angry from the quickening heartbeat.

"Please let me explain. Please Lena." standing between  Lena and her car door.

"Okay. Two minutes"

"Uhhh. I.... I didn't mean to lie to you" Kara wasn't expecting Lena to be willing to listen to her and has nothing prepared. No excuses or reasons or whatsoever.

"Not an explanation. One minute thirty seconds" expressionless Lena looks straight into Kara's eye.

Since Kara is unable to do any explanation besides opening and closing her mouth for thirty seconds, Lena steps around her and drives away faster than Kara has ever seen Lena drive.

Lena storms into her apartment feeling angry about being lied to bu a hot bumbling mess which she assumes does not have the ability to lie. Ignited by the need to throw things around, she decides against it since she now lives with a three year old child and can no longer be as selfish as she wants to be. She needs to talk to Sam but she knows Sam is probably reading stories to Ruby since her house slippers are not on the shelf.

Unable to reconcile why would Kara lie about something so insignificant, her anger builds up again. What else could Kara be lying about. Is she even adopted? Did Lillian send her to keep tabs on Lena?

Lena decides to take a shower to calm down to get her brain back to working condition. She is a genius. She can figure it out and she will figure it out. Walking out to the living room clad in her bathrobe, she hears a knock from her balcony window.

'what the hell is Sam doing this time' Lena thought.

She looks outside and see Kara standing at her balcony with a small wave while adjusting her glasses. Did Sam let her in? Seriously Sam! She noticed the balcony sliding glass door is locked from the inside.

Why the hell would Sam let Kara into the house and locks her outside at the balcony. Sam is losing her mind that's for sure. She is a little Sam did that though. The liar deserves to suffer a little chilly night air for the deception. Then she feels guilty for even thinking that. She unlocks the door and let Kara in.

"You said I have two minutes. I only used one outside my house. I'm using the other one now" she blabbers so quickly that Lena almost miss it.

"Go ahead. One minute"

"I didn't mean to lie to you. I'm not who you think I am. I'm sorry I lied. It was never my intention to hurt you" Kara is a little more prepared this time.

"Still not an explanation. 30 seconds."

"Here goes nothing. Lena, I'm an alien"