Chapter 37

Alex POV

I had arrived on campus early in the hopes of finding Alaya. It was the day of our art program's weekend away. I was overjoyed and stood outside the west building near the huge rock.

Alex:  The sun is shining, but I'm missing my sunshine. 🌞

Peanut , where are you?  x

Alaya: I'm right behind you. x

As I was reading her response, she patted my shoulder. That grin on my face was an instantaneous reaction. God, this girl makes me happy. I couldn't picture a day without her in my life. In a tight embrace, I hauled Alaya up from the ground. In response, she encircled me with her arms. I couldn't stop myself from inhaling her scent. It had quickly become one of my favourites.

"Good morning, beautiful," I whispered as I carefully lowered her to the ground.

"Good morning Alex, can you help me with my suitcase? It's a little heavy for me, and I'm having trouble pulling it . I think I overpacked" she stated, as she strained to pull it.

I could tell she wasn't joking when I looked behind her.  The suitcase was designed for a two-week trip, not a two-day one. I gave my girl a perplexed expression. "Um babe you know that this is a two-day trip? Unless you're planning on moving in with me, in which case it'll be fine." I said, laughing at her expense.

She picked up on this and responded "Haha, very funny. Alex, I've never been away for more then a day so I wasn't sure what to pack and thought it was safe to over pack as you just don't know what you'll need."

"Okay, no problem, I am at your service my lady. Let's get to the coach ahead of time so we can select the best seats." I said as we headed to the parking lot.

I stepped onboard the coach after placing our suitcases in the underfloor carriage luggage compartment. My girl was already seated and signalled for me to join her with her hand.

"Alex, would you like to sit by the window? I wasn't sure which seat you preferred" She inquired, keen to learn.

"I don't mind where I sit as long as it's next to you," I said, her cheeks flushed and eyes beaming. I loved it when she blushed. As soon as I sat down, she grabbed my arm and wrapped hers through mine, resting her head on it. I laid my head on her, and we sat in bliss for what seemed like an eternity. Professor Green, who was holding a clipboard and a pen, abruptly interrupted our precious little haven of bliss. 

Looking at what appeared to be a register, he inquired, "full name please?"

"Professor you know who me and Alaya are?" In a snarky tone, I answered.

"It makes no difference whether I know you or not, Mr. Scott. I need to make sure I get everyone's name and make a note of where they're sitting on the coach. So I'll ask once again, name please?" In a matter-of-fact tone, he stated.

Alaya pinched my arm, implying that I was being impolite. She gave me a frightening glance as I mimed ouch to her. I rolled my eyes and muttered, "It's Alex Scott."

"Alaya Khan, Professor Green" My girl had already responded to the professor to demonstrate that she was ready to answer his question even before he had asked it.

"Thank you Alaya. See its not so hard is it",  he remarked, stroking his moustache and staring at me with a perplexed expression. 

"I hope you enjoy the art programme Alaya. Try not to squander the two days with you know..."  he said this while using his eyes to gesture towards me. As if I couldn't tell what he was trying to say.

"Of course Professor" Alaya replied. Even though it wasn't necessary, my girl was really gracious. The professor continued on his way to complete the rest of his register.

"Peanut, that hurt," I replied, rubbing the spot on my arm where she had pinched me.

"I'm sorry baby", she said, her face troubled, "why are you always rude to the professor. He's a great guy. I mean, his fashion style is a touch unusual, but he's a fantastic teacher " she continued while caressing my arm where she pinched me. I loved how she tried to comfort me even though there was no more pain.

"I'm not being disrespectful to him. I gave him a sensible response to a ridiculous question he had asked ", I replied, my tone bland.

"Alex, please be on your best behaviour. Promise me!" Alaya told me, or should I say warned me, with a rolled eye.

"Okay, I won't bother the professor, if it will please you."  I gave in to my girls request.

We were enjoying the proximity throughout the drive. On our phones, we listened to each other's playlists. It was safe to assume that I had the best musical taste. Even if Alaya would never admit it, she knew I had greater taste than she did. I had brought food from the store for both of us. We munched on crisps, chocolates, jelly sweets and fizzy pop. 

I was able to capture a few selfies of Alaya and I. Finally, I have a decent photo that I can use as a screensaver on my phone. I've been wanting for a week, but Alaya would always flee before I could take a picture. She had no choice but to take them because we were on the coach.

On board, Professor Green was passing out food. He handed me a plate, despite Alaya's refusal. When I took a bite, I was reminded of Mrs Khan's cooking.

"Babe, you have to try these pakoras, they taste just like your mums"   I murmured as I bit into another.

"That's because my mum made them, Alex," she explained, looking embarrassed.

"Alaya, that's really kind of her. Why do I get the impression you are unhappy about this?" I inquired.

"She always embarrasses me in this way. The professor had seen us arguing and bickering this morning as I refused to take the bag she packed. So he took it off her instead."  Alaya didn't seem amused in the least.

"She loves you Alaya. Try to see it from her point of view. I mean I suppose I should be grateful that my future mother-in-law is a fantastic cook and will always cook for me when I visit....." As I blurted the last sentence, I realised I may have made a major mistake. Why can't I control what comes out of my mouth? I'm trying to give Alaya some time to get to know me and like me, and then I say the most idiotic things.

I tried to assess Alaya's expression by looking at her, but I couldn't tell.

As she raised her face to look at me, her wonderful brown eyes peered into mine. 

"You really can see us married in the future?" she asked, a warm smile emerging on her face.

"Yes, don't you? I told you this wasn't going to be a fling. Alaya, I'm in this for the long haul. Unless.... you don't feel the same?" I questioned her but was unsure if I could handle rejection.

She placed both of her hands to the back of my head gripping onto my hair gently, merging our foreheads together with the tips of our noses touching, and closed her eyes. Her touch was enough to throw me into a state of euphoria. She brushed her fingers through my hair with tenderness. I could feel her breathing intensify. I sat there motionless, savouring the pleasure of her touch.

"I'm at a loss for words, Alex. I can let my guard down with you. I have never been able to do that with anyone. You make me vulnerable, but in a good way. My mind tells me to stay away from you but my heart tells me otherwise"   I could see she was nervous while speaking since she was attempting to maintain her calm.  "But for the time being, I can promise you this much. I'm in it for the long haul as well... since Alex Scott you are my absolute favourite person on earth".

Hey Lovelies,

Hope you enjoyed the chapter- S