20

the middle-aged man sat down on the sofa with a bottle of beer in his hand and a phone on the other. he was about to drink the remaining liquid when the phone rang, he quickly answered the call without thinking twice.

"good evening, sir." he greeted. the man on the other line greeted him back, but something was off, the tone sounds different and it sounds so cold.

"good evening, mr.park,"

the man drank the remaining liquid on the bottle while listening carefully to the other man on the other line.

"i'm so sorry to tell you this but you're fired." he stopped for a second before speaking again.

"i know it's not easy for you but someone reported that you broke one of the rules. i also noticed that you've been doing things that are wrong while you're working. i'm very sorry but that's the only thing i can do."

the man sighed as he gripped his hair very hard while tears are flowing on his cheeks like a waterfall.

"but don't worry mr. park, we'll still give you your money. we will make it bigger so it'll be less hard for you. please meet me at the office tomorrow at 11 am. thank you so much for understanding." the man on the other line hung up as if nothing happened.

the middle-aged man closed his eyes tightly while sobbing non-stop. he's been working as a construction worker for almost three years, he didn't expect that he'll be fired. he wiped his tears, he raised the bottle after throwing it on the ground making it break into pieces. once again, he gripped his hair very tightly.

he's always like this, crying every night, drinking, and smoking. he's acting like a teenage male who had a break-up, but what really happened is worst than that.

after his son left and after his wife passed away. he became the worst version of himself. he tried killing himself, he tried finding a new girlfriend, he tried finding a better job, but whatever he do, nothing will happen.

everything will stay the same.

cold, dark, and empty.

"chenle, dinner is ready." said jisung. he placed the dish on the table, and after that, he took off the apron that he was wearing. a smile went on his lips when chenle approached the table, "you cooked all of these?" the older male asked, jisung nodded. chenle took the spoon, "let me taste it." he said after slurping the soup on the spoon, "hm, not bad. you're pretty good at this."

jisung chuckled, "thanks, but yeah, i can only cook those for dinner. i don't really know how to cook since no one taught me how to..." he said. chenle noticed how the last few words sounds so sad, so he tried cheering up the younger.

"i can always teach you. ask me anything you want to learn and i will teach you how to." he smiled.

"thank you.. but i'm too lazy." they laughed together while they both sat down at the table. they smiled at each other before starting to eat.

after eating dinner, they both went to the bedroom. they decided to make their homework since it was too early to sleep. chenle and jisung are both focused on reading the book and answering the questions. they're in the middle of studying when jisung started laughing, chenle looked at him with a weird look.