Chapter 4 : A Hunger

Once you had entered your room, you placed your hand over your mouth and leaned against the closed door. You exhaled loudly, hoping that the demon wouldn't hear. What he said scared you, even if you didn't like to admit it.

A being that killed solely for the enjoyment of it couldn't be trustworthy.

And yet, you did trust him. You had trusted him with your life, had you not? You trusted that he would lead you to earth safely. You had trusted that he wouldn't kill you the second that he had the chance.

Until now, he had done nothing to betray your trust. He had been blunt and he had been honest, even with the knowledge that you'd disapprove. So, you reasoned with yourself.

Until now, Adrian had been kind to you, he had kept you safe. To treat him with mistrust despite these actions would've been cruel. Something that you knew you weren't.

You were pulled out of your thoughts by Yan's loud meows. You exhaled once more before composing yourself and petting the kitten. You didn't know if she had meowed because she had known that you were lost in your thoughts and filled with doubts, or because she had wanted more attention. Either way, you were thankful that for at least a moment you wouldn't need to doubt Adrians trustworthiness. 

You had gone to your room to sit down and process the last two days, the boy, those men and that familiar voice. In the end, you had been able to accept everything, except for that voice. The boy and those men, they were the victims of tragedies caused by humans. But that voice, you weren't even completely sure what is was. Of course, it could've just been your imagination, but it had been so real, so familiar. At this point, you could've sworn that someone had whispered it into your ear. To you, it was something that only you were meant to hear.

While petting the kitten you mumbled the phrase back to yourself, "Oh darling, no act of kindness is ever wasted," you were perplexed as you shook your head, "What a strange thing to say."

You got up, the kitten in hand, as you opened the door, unsure of what exactly you intended to do. But that didn't last long, since Adrian had seemed for you to exit the room.

Your head shot up to see that Adrian had been standing by the door. A small smile formed on your lips, you were unsure as to why. You both looked at each other a while, only a comfortable silence surrounding you. A feeling of warmth started to entrance you as you looked away, a small blush forming on your cheeks. You didn't understand why you had done this.

Adrian raised one of his eyebrows as he questioned, "Are you alright?"

"Yes, sorry. It's just... a very strange feeling overcame me." 

"Perhaps you've become ill?" The Demon tried to get a glimpse of your expression by stepping forward. You continued hiding your face, although you weren't quite sure what had come over you, "Yes, I'm probably ill. So it'd be better if you kept some distance, at least until we're sure I'm healthy." 

Adrian went back to his original position beside the door as he responded, "Well, in that case, I should probably depart until you feel better."

Just as he was about to turn around and leave you added, "Wait... just because I'm a little ill doesn't mean that you have to leave. Besides, since you were waiting by the door you probably wanted to talk about something." ... Or be creepy... Hopefully that isn't the case...

The Demon looked down at you as he replied, „It wasn't my desire to talk, but rather that Yan was in the room with you. I had intended to take him once you were distracted."

„Oh. Silly me. Of course," you handed Yan over to the demon slowly, letting him get used to the Demon before completely pulling away. You were a little disappointed by his answer, but you dare didn't let it show. After all, you didn't even know what reaction you would have wanted him to have.