Chapter 10 : The Cruelty of Humans

The life you led from then on could only be described with one word, hell. You couldn't die, therefore those humans didn't bother to treat you with any bit of humanity. Now eating solid food or drinking sewer water was a luxury. One you couldn't afford often. The first night there was tame compared to what you would have to endure the next few centuries. After a sleepless night in that cold, damp cell, you were tired and hungry. You patiently waited for someone, anyone to come and get you out. Being in there slowly made you claustrophobic, as it seemed the walls would tighten around you, limiting your air supply. Those hours alone had been terrifying, not even the few rats that managed to get into the room stayed long. Left alone, fearing what was to come you'd sit there, waiting. You'd play with the small rocks that you found around the room or count the drops of water (emitting from the other side of the room) to pass the time.

Then you heard footsteps, you smiled lightly as a little hope filled you. These scientists couldn't possibly be cruel enough to continue to keep you there. After all, they were still humans by nature.

The footsteps stopped in front of your door and after the lock had clicked, and the door opened, you saw a middle-aged man. The second he saw you, he didn't greet you with a friendly hello, he silently got out his syringe and injected some liquid into your leg. You felt your body weaken as your muscles softened once more.

... Not again... Just let me go already... I don't...

Your eyes started to feel incredibly heavy, as if to make up for the lack of sleep you'd gotten, and as they finally started to shut, you heard the man call over to someone behind in the hallway.

... Maybe... they're going to help me escape... perhaps they have to do this so that I don't know where this place is...

... Someone... help me...

When you opened your eyes again, you were in a completely different room, strapped to a table with scientists looking down at you. The room had only a few light sources within it and no windows, there were at least five scientists surrounding you. There were red stains on the walls, making you question what's been done in this room before you'd woken up. After inspecting (what you could make out of the darkness) the room you turned your attention back on yourself. Why were you here? Why were your arms, legs and torso strapped onto this table? As far as you could tell, you still had most of your clothing on. One of the scientist walked up to you, narrowing his eyes as he spoke, "We're going to use you for experiments, don't bother trying to escape, we've had others try and fail. You're no longer free, you're our possession. Your inability to die makes you very useful to us, and the knowledge we can gain from you is of the upmost importance. Do try to understand, it would at least give you a reason."

... What are you going to do?!... Let me go...

You looked over at the man as you started to panic, "What do you mean?" The head scientist smirked down at you while replying, "You'll see, all you need to know is that this is going to hurt and having a reason should assure you stay sane."

Panic was replaced with confusion as your (e/c) eyes followed him around the room. The man got a knife and slowly pressed it into your leg. You yelled out in pain as (a reflex) you revealed your black wings. Some of them looked at you in shock, as if they hadn't know what they'd be testing. The wound from your leg started to gush out more blood as you tried to move.

Tears started streaming down your cheeks as you saw those humans just watch you. The grins of the man widened while he put on a glove and started pulling at some of your flight feathers, your remiges. He began to slowly pull the feathers out. Your eyes widened as you cried out, one of those horrible cries that can't be written in any human language. A cry left your lips with each feather he removed, each cry louder than the former. If you had to describe the pain, you'd say it felt similar to ripping a hole into your skin and letting the warm blood trickle down, exposing it to sulfur mustard. Yet, no matter how much pain you were in, your wings wouldn't bleed or even move. They stayed limp, only letting you feel the pain these humans were causing you. That man didn't even bother to remove the knife from your leg as he continued this savage act. But this, sadly, wasn't even the beginning.