Chapter 8 : Love is a Strange Thing

You were woken up by Yan patting her soft, pink paw on your nose. As you lightly pushed away her paw, you smiled softly while asking, "Are you hungry?"

The cat stared at you, unaware of what you meant, as you shook your head in slight frustration. You smiled as you started to get out of the bed, "I meant Food, Yan. Do you want Food?"

Yan meowed in agreement as you picked her up, petting her soft black fur. You carried her into the kitchen were you gave her a small plate filled with fish. The cat, not hesitating for a second, ran over to the plate and started eating her meal.

You stared at Yan for a while, oblivious to your surroundings, as you tried to drown out everything else. Maybe, if you tried hard enough, you'd forget everything and simply become a pure, complete Angel again. Of course, those were just the hopes of a hopeless Angel.

... Adrian... He must be enjoying this... me being in pain... he is a demon after all...

... No... he wouldn't like that... I hope not... since at this point... he's my only friend...

The front door to your cabin opened, ripping you out of your light doze, to reveal an expressionless Adrian. You smiled weakly as you sighed in relief, "What did you get? It doesn't look like you have anything new or special on you."

The demon walked over to you as he calmly replied, "What I got was private, don't bother trying to find out."

You leaned against his shoulder as you questioned, "Why not? Do you think I couldn't find out even if I wanted to?"

"That's not it", the demon smirked, "I'm just hoping that you won't try to find out. After all, we are friends."

While narrowing your eyes a little as you replied, "Don't you dare use the fact that I care for you against me."

Adrian grinned as he leaned over to you, "Don't misunderstand me, I wasn't using that against you. And even if I did, you could do the same."

You looked over at Adrian as you smiled weakly, "Fine, you win, I won't bother trying to find out, Friend."

... Adrian... I wonder... what do you really think of me?...

Adrian looked over at you suspiciously as you glared at him. He took a step forward but you went back, widening the space between you two. The demon rubbed his temples as he agitatedly questioned, "What's bothering you, (Y/n)?"

... What isn't wrong?... Annie is dead and I have no hope to become an Angel... Are you just that oblivious or don't you care at all?!...

"You're happy about this", tears formed in your eyes as you continued, "I know you are, Adrian."

"What are you talking about?", he took a step closer as he calmly continued asking, "What am I happy about?"

You couldn't help it, you had to know if Adrian loved seeing you in pain. Did he cause you to become a fallen Angel so you'd admit he was right about humans? Would he go that far? Weren't you two friends?

"About me becoming one of the Fallen", you raised your voice, "You like seeing me in pain don't you? Isn't this why you're happy that Annie's gone? Because I could've proved you wrong?"

Adrian took a step toward you worried as he began, "You know that's not tru-"

You stormed out of the kitchen, where Yan was still contently eating at the fish, as Adrian ran behind you. No matter how much he called your name you refused to turn around and face him, only when you felt his hand on your shoulder did you turn to look at him. You swung your hand to slap him but he grabbed your wrist, stopping you.