Chapter 12 : Look up at the Sky

"To hate something you once loved is such a painful feeling"

Your eyes fluttered open as you saw the little boy in your arms. He wasn't that young anymore, but he'd always be that little boy to you. The one that had so little but still decided to give what food he had to you. While getting out of bed, making sure not to wake him up, you walked over to your wardrobe and changed.

Finny started to open his eyes groggily just as you had finished getting ready. He yawned, struggling to not fall back asleep, as he asked, "Is it morning?" You nodded as you looked at him sadly, you weren't sad that you two had to work, but rather about what you saw in his eyes. You saw the pain of all the years he held back. Finny never admitted it but you knew he tried to stay strong, for your sake at least.

Whenever you to had talked, that thick stone wall separating you, he'd do anything just to hear even the slightest giggle from you. The two of you kept each other alive, you fought for each other.

You sat on down beside him as you asked, "Finny, if you wish, I can change the past for you. At least your impression of it." He looked at you curiously as he questioned, "Will I forget meeting you?" You shook your head, "You'll just forget most of the pain."

The boy thought about your offer for only a few seconds before nodding. You placed your hand on his forehead as he slowly began to shut his eyes again. As his head lay on your lap you remembered what Adrian had told you. You wanted to change that mans impression but he told you that it wasn't good, that it wasn't pure.

But Finny wanted to forget the pain, as any sane human being would. As you began to look through his memories, the years of torture weren't the memories that stood out. What he remembered more than the torture, was the time he spent with you, his only friend. You saved his life when he should've died, he saved you when you should've gone insane.

You lifted your hand off of his forehead, you had changed most of the memories you could. There was one memory you refused to change, the time he had offered you the rest of his meal: You wanted him to remember how pure he had been, despite the cruelty that surrounded him.

After Finny had also changed you left the room only to immediately be bothered by Meyrin and Bardroy, yet Finny seemed to like them. They were nice, even if their incompetence could be annoying at times. Deep down you knew that they couldn't harm Finny, that they genuinely wanted to be friends with you two.

Finny had started chatting with them before Sebastian had arrived. He ordered everyone to go to the dining room, where Ciel was having breakfast. Everyone was standing in a line, side by side, as the young lord continued eating quietly. You were standing between Sebastian and Finny, making sure that they'd be (at least) a few feet apart.

You looked ahead of yourself and at Ciel. ... He must've gone through so much pain to want to be in a contract with a demon... Something got a hold of you as you slowly convinced yourself that the earl didn't want to remember the pain either. If you also changed his impression of it, he'd surely see it as a favor. After all, without pain, he wouldn't have to fill his young heart with hatred.

But before you could even take a step toward the young earl, his demon butler stopped you. Momentarily you had forgotten that he had access your thoughts. You glared up at him. ... Let me go!...

The demon looked down at you as he whispered, "Only if you give me your word that you won't ruin my meal." You ripped your arm away as you avoided his gaze. Ciel didn't seem concerned, but then again he did have a Demon to protect him. The earl looked over at you as he assured, "(Y/n), no harm will come to Finnian so you don't need to mistrust everyone. I didn't hire you both to inflict any harm onto you two. You needn't be silent but I can't force you to be otherwise." You nodded, as a little part of you said that he was lying. The earl must've noticed that by your expression as he added, "Those Aberrations are dead, there's no need to assume all humans are similar to them. Besides, I'm sure you two can keep yourselves safe." ... I suppose you're right... But...