Chapter 17 : Malicious Joy

You had hidden the dagger as to not frighten Finny (since he had a fear of most things sharp) and the next morning when you two entered the kitchen, you immediately regretted that choice. Your body froze as you saw that Ash was sitting beside the small wooden table, calmly drinking tea as his eyes slowly turned to look at you. Your (e/c) eyes widened as you pulled Finny closer to yourself, wrapping your arms around him protectively. It took all your strength to not start running away, or cry. 

Finny recognized Ash from the curry contest and started glaring at him as you looked down, avoiding his gaze, just trying concentrate on keeping your feet on the ground. 

The Angel smirked as he stood up and put the tea down on the table beside himself. Ash took a few steps toward you as he questioned, "(Y/n), how lovely it is to see you. I'm a bit surprised you didn't run away as you did a few weeks ago, you seemed quite terrified. But enough of that, tell me, how was your stay at the facility?"

You tried to ignore his words as you shut your eyes tightly, turing to look the other way, while tightening your grip around Finny. Ash smirked as he leaned closer to you as he whispered, "It seems that it worked wonders, now you're an obedient and silent member of the Fallen. Honestly, I didn't think that they could break you so easily, but I suppose you're just as weak as I needed you to be."

Finny, after hearing all of that, looked up at the Angel and demanded, "Shut up! Just leave already!" As you heard Finny say that you opened your eyes to look down at him, concerned about Ash' reaction to Finnys 'disobedience'. Ash raised his hand but before he could slap the boy you pushed Finny behind you. The Angel looked down at you in disgust as you held Finnys hand, who continued to glare at Ash from behind you. 

Ash chuckled before slapping you across the cheek, leaving a bright red handprint. You tried not to react as you put your free hand onto your cheek. Finny wanted to hit Ash for slapping you but you held him back. In your mind you had to make sure Finny stayed safe, regardless of what happened to you. The Angel clicked his tongue as he scolded, "I thought that facility had taught you something, but I suppose the next time I'll just have to make sure it's... a longer, more excessive treatment. Oh, I really do wonder why you haven't learned anything yet. One would think that having one wing forcibly removed would've taught you something, anything. Too Stubborn to learn and too weak to fight, what a critical combination."

This sort of taunting only stopped once Ciel and Sebastian entered the kitchen, surprised to see Ash as well. You took this chance to turn around and whisper to Finny, "Could you go back to the room and wait for me?" Finny glared at Ash before returning his gaze back to you, "Are you sure? I can protect you." You nodded before he sighed and returned to the room. 

As you turned to face Ciel, Sebastian, and Ash again you had to continuously repeat the phrase 'I won't run away again' in your head. You'd occasionally look over at Sebastian, who was visibly annoyed by Ash simply being there. 

The Angel cleared his throat as he faced the young earl and greeted, "Pardon my intrusion, but as the Queens royal butler, I have to inform you of something that her majesty the queen is deeply saddened by." Ciel saw how uncomfortable you were so he ordered Ash to get started, "Then don't hesitate to tell me, now continue."
Ash sighed before adding, "There is a catholic monastery on the outskirts of Preston, that was set on fire during the reformation and is currently disused. A religious society preaching a heretical doctrine has begun assembling there. Rumor has it that the founder of this society possesses the Doomsday Books of all his followers. By Doomsday they mean the Day of Judgement. Indeed, it is a register, but of the sort you need when hung before the throne of God. They say all of your offences, virtues and vices are engraved on its pages."

Ciel groaned lightly as he hissed, "My luck, yet another encounter with a cult."

The Queens Butler continued to say, "It would also seem they are planning an uprising against the government. The residents of Preston are frightened by this heretical menace, and as I said, her majesty the queen is deeply saddened by it."
The young earl raised an eyebrow as he questioned, "Does this mean they are to be dispersed, or rather, eradicated?"
Ash smirked as he answered, "I will leave that to your judgement." "Very well."